Why Everyone Should Be Watching Netflix’s “Sugar Rush”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

If you have never heard of Netflix’s Sugar Rush, you may be living under a rock. It’s like Cupcake Wars, but better. Imagine four baking duos (who all have weird reasons why they’re competing, so that’s fun) in three challenges against the clock. Sounds like Cupcake Wars, doesn’t it? But wait. The challenges are broken up into three categories: cupcakes, confections, and cakes. And… any time a contestant’s bank adds up, they can use it during the final cake round. Add in hilarious judges and baking fails, and it’s a blast! Of course, like any baking show, it is completely predictable. The fails even seem somewhat scripted, but that makes the show even better! In case you still don’t agree, though, here are three reasons why you may want to watch the new second season.

The Themes

The themes of each episode are pretty awesome, for starters. A lot of them are unique, and many contestants take unique spins on them. So far, themes have included Instagram-worthy sweets, romance, space, family, fashion, and many more. It’s really just fun to see what contestants can do with the theme. Plus, they’re delicious desserts!

The Judges

While the host Hunter March can be a bit corny, the people leading the show are great. Staffing the judges’ tables includes the woman behind Sprinkles Cupcakes, Candance Nelson, and French pastry chef, Adrian Zumbo (if you like him, see his other Netflix show, Zumbo’s Just Desserts). They also always have a really cool guest judge who is usually positive critiquing everyone; think a celebrity or a judge from another Netflix show, and you’ll get the gist. The judges honestly make the show.

The Sweets

Can I just say the desserts honestly look delicious? The contestants make such pretty displays, and I totally want to taste those desserts. They inspire me to want to bake, even though I have no skills. But, wow, those creations are stunning.

So, all that’s left to say is. . . go watch Sugar Rush! You’re in for sweet surprises and fast-paced reality competition!

UGA '22. Entertainment Media Studies major with a Theatre Studies Minor and a New Media Certificate (wants to be a television writer or a producer of digital content promoting kindness). Just your average, kinda awkward, 40 year old Jewish mom in a 19 year old's body who loves coffee, bagels, television, and late nights on Amazon. Check here for random writing thoughts!