This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

If you’ve lived in the state of Georgia during spring, you have probably seen how everything outside gets covered in a thin film of yellow powder once the season hits. Along with that comes the dreaded pollen allergy season, filled with constant sneezing and watery eyes. Everyone has their own ways of coping with their allergies, but what does everyone mean when they say that they have pollen allergies?

What is a Pollen Allergy?

Pollen allergies occur in people whose immune systems detect pollen as a threat. Some people have allergies to specific plants (in Georgia, Ragweed is a common allergen), and some people have allergic reactions to pollen in general. Allergies in general stem from the immune system generating an inflammatory response to certain substances that are not typically harmful to humans. There is a lot about allergies that are still unknown, in terms of how the immune system develops adverse reactions to different substances. (Source: CDC website)

Why are pollen allergies so bad in Georgia?

Because the South, in general, has a warmer climate, plants tend to go dormant in the winter, rather than completely dying. In addition to this, the South reaches hotter temperatures faster, leading to longer more intense pollen seasons. This is because the longer the pollen season is, the more likely it is that not only does the initial burst of pollen occur, but also a second wave happens. This compounds into pollen allergies being either more intense or more long-lasting in people who live in Georgia.

This is just a really quick summary of what pollen allergies are and why they tend to be so bad in the state of Georgia. If you want to learn more, sources and references are cited below. Take care of yourselves as the spring wraps up!

Sources:

Allergens and Pollen | CDC

How Allergies Differ in the South | ENT of Georgia North | Blog (entofga.com)

Medhini is a first year student at UGA, majoring in Cell Biology, on the premed track, and minoring in the Classics. She listens to Taylor Swift 24/7, and loves to read. Follow her bookstagram @storyofusmedsversion!