What’s Next After Graduation?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As senior bulldogs prepare to turn their tassels and head off to the real world, some are not so certain what their future holds.  Many soon to be graduates are preparing for a full time job or graduate school, but for those of you still unsure, here’s a list of some philanthropic organizations always in need of recent college grads.

1. Teach For America
Teach for America recruits recent college graduates from all majors to tech for two years in rural and urban schools in an effort to shrink the achievement gap between low-income children and their peers.  Participants are treated as full-time teachers and earn a full salary and benefits from their school district. They can also apply for grants and funding to help pay for relocation and student loans. For more information visit teachforamerica.org

2. Peace Corps
Peace Corps was created by John F. Kennedy as a way for students to serve their country and promote peace by living and working in developing countries.  Volunteers travel to impoverished areas all over the globe to improve and promote education, healthcare, nutrition, and community development. Volunteers receive free travel, a monthly allowance, and a $7500 bonus upon completion of the 27 month long program. For more information visit peacecorps.gov

3. AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps places volunteers all over the country to provide community service and outreach. Volunteers participate in projects such as youth mentoring, fighting poverty, and strengthening community. Participants receive a living allowance and upon completion of the program, a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award equal to the maximum Pell Grant. For more information visit americorps.gov

Not only will these programs give you a do-good feeling and a few more years to figure out what you want to do with your life, but they’ll also look great on your resume!

AmeriCorps photo courtesy of http://www.wacampuscompact.org/retentionproject/images/americorp.jpg

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.