FAB3?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
FAB3?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
her campus media
Career > Money

Ways to Make Money in College That Aren’t a Part-Time Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

With a packed calendar, loads of homework, and spending time with friends, it can seem impossible to find enough time in your schedule to fit in a part-time job—but that doesn’t mean you have to be broke if you’re too busy for a job! Here are five low-commitment ways to make money in college that aren’t a part-time job.

Capitalize on your hobbies

Do you have a craft or talent you love work on during your free time? Consider selling some of the things you make. You can sell handmade goods, like jewelry, art or knitted accessories, or sell services, like photography. Make a social media account to market your products, and enjoy running a small business doing something you love.

Volunteer in Research studies

If your college has a research program, you might be able to earn some easy cash by volunteering for studies. Check your college’s research pages for studies you might be eligible for regularly, and volunteer to earn a small compensation for your time and help in the project. This isn’t the most time-efficient way to earn money because most of the rewards for volunteering are fairly small, but it’s exciting to know you’re helping researchers learn more about the world.

Use your Car

If you have a car and are comfortable using it for work, driving for food delivery services like Grubhub and DoorDash is a way to earn money fairly reliably without having to commit to a schedule. Because you can control when and how much you work, it’s the perfect way to earn some quick cash when you’re busy.

Babysitting, Petsitting, or Housesitting

Advertise on neighborhood platforms like Facebook groups and Nextdoor that you’re available to babysit, walk dogs, or housesit for local families. It might take a little while to find a consistent client base, but once you do you’ll have a steady small income from doing pretty simple work. If you babysit, sometimes you can even get some homework done after the kids go to bed!

Use your online Presence

If you have a large following on social media, you might be able to make money or receive free products by partnering with brands and making promotional content. Check out the social media and websites of some of your favorite businesses for influencer marketing programs, and try your hand at making some sponsored posts advertising their products or services.

College can be a busy time, but I hope these ideas are helpful to make some quick cash on your own time!

Lindsay Morris is studying Journalism and Political Science at the University of Georgia. She loves to read and write, especially about culture, style, and entertainment. When she's not doing that, Lindsay loves walks in the rain, creating ultra-specific playlists, and going out with friends.