Valentine’s Day Eats: UGA Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Planning on taking that special someone out to dinner on Valentine’s Day? Whether you’re in the mood to splurge or not, there are a ton of delicious options right here in Athens. 

If you’re willing to spend a little extra cash, The Last Resort might just be the place for you. With menu items like fried green tomatoes or a Texas pork loin (yum!), you can never go wrong.

Another romantic option is the Porterhouse Grill, located downtown right on East Broad Street; this is one of the more expensive options. If you’re in the mood for a filet mignon cooked to perfection and a side of mashed potatoes, this steakhouse is perfect for you. However, it gets crazy busy really fast so call ahead of time and make a reservation if you plan on dining here.

Looking for something a little less expensive and love Italian food? Then head on over to DePalma’s Italian Café for Chicken Parmigiana or Eggplant Florentine for under $10 each! You’ll get the romantic atmosphere and delicious food for a great price.

Don’t have a significant other and just want a casual place to enjoy dinner? Try the Transmetropolitan, known for it’s pizza sold by the slice and calzones oozing with cheese, the relaxing atmosphere is the perfect setting for a friendly outing.

Love sushi but don’t want to spend a fortune on it? Then Ru San’s Japanese Cuisine and Seafood is the place to go. This is the perfect place to go with that special someone or just to hang out with friends. With over 50 different sushi rolls on the menu, the options are endless! Don’t feel like sushi, they also offer dinner plates like chicken teriyaki or pork gyoza (potstickers). All of this amazing food for a decent price!

Finally, another casual option is Cali n’ Titos. No matter what day of the week it is, this restaurant is always busy. This is the perfect place to go if you’re dining on a budget because everything on the menu is under $10! But you have to like Mexican food. From the savory yucca frita to a chicken or steak filled cubano, this laid-back Latin style restaurant is a “must-see” in Athens. However, it’s BYOB if you plan on drinking. It is also a cash only restaurant and no credit cards are accepted.

With so many different restaurant options to choose from, you can never go wrong in Athens!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter