Understanding International Day of the Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

International Day of the Girl is a movement created by United Nations to shine light on the problems facing young girls around the world. This day, celebrated on October 11 of every year, is a way for girls to get involved to, “highlight, discuss, celebrate, and ultimately advance girls’ lives and opportunities across the globe.” Its main goal: to ensure a world free of discrimination for girls. Issues involving education of females, representation in the workplace, and equal treatment of men and women are discussed on this day in hopes of making a change one step at at time.

Public female figures such as Michelle Obama did their part in supporting International Day of the Girl this Sunday by joining forces with other women and young girls around the world to stand up for what they believe in: 100% gender justice for females! While this was only the fourth year this day has been in action, the movement has already begun to attract attention in so many countries. Conferences and events were held by volunteers across the world to inform, educate, and enlighten not only young girls, but all other demographics on the issues women are facing today.

Movements like this are huge leaps in achieving fair, equal representation, and treatment of women in all aspects of life. While it may seem like one girl alone may not be capable of making a difference, International Day of the Girl proves that one girl standing strong alongside other girls, can truly change the world. To find out how you can be involved in these types of projects visit: http://www.dayofthegirl.org

#dayofthegirl