UGA turrns 228!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

A weeklong celebration commenced on campus as the University of Georgia (UGA) celebrated its 228th birthday on January 27.

UGA became the first state-supported university on January 27, 1785.

Celebratory events included a variety of activities. Tuesday was G Book Day. This small book is filled with traditions for students to take part in., with empty spaces for pictures of each completed tradition. The legendary book was passed out to freshman from 1915 until the 1950s and reemerged in 2009. On this day, students were encouraged to honor more traditions of the Bulldogs before them.

Wednesday was Wear Your Shirt Wednesday. Members of the UGA Student Alumni Association wore their t-shirts all over campus.

The week ended with 100 Days Until Graduation held in Grand Hall in the Tate Student Center. On Thursday and Friday, seniors strolled the fair filled with tables of colleges and organizations.

The UGA Alumni Association also had a hand in Founders Week. With the help of the UGA Emeriti Scholars, the UGA Alumni Association hosted the Founders Day lecture on January 30 in the Chapel. Dr. James Cobb, a graduate of UGA, gave a lecture “I Don’t Believe I’d a’Told That! Understanding the South Through Humor.” Cobb is a Spalding Distinguished Research Professor.