The Tragic Death Of Mac Miller and How It Has Affected Ariana Grande

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The world of music was rocked on September 7, 2018, by the tragic and sudden loss of beloved rapper, Mac Miller, who died of an apparent drug overdose. In the days following the shocking news, many have turned to Ariana Grande and have accused her of not helping Mac Miller get the help he needed to fight his drug addiction. Miller had been open about his struggles with substance abuse over the past few years.

Nasty comments flooded Grande’s Instagram and Twitter feeds saying his death was “her fault” and that she “should feel sick”. Many people have even blamed Ariana for Miller’s DUI arrest back in May, which occurred right after the couple had announced their split.

After receiving so many accusatory and hateful comments, Grande has since disabled all comments on her Instagram, and many fans have come to her defense. She has finally broken her silence, a week after his death, with a touching tribute on Instagram, stating that he was “her dearest friend for so long” and that “she was sorry she couldn’t fix him”. The singer and rapper not only collaborated on songs, such as “The Way” and “Into You”, but dated for a year and a half before their breakup only four months ago. 

Needless to say, hearts are aching not only for Mac Miller and his family and friends, but for Ariana Grande too. The world will miss his contagious smile and kind heart.

Anna was born and raised in Georgia and is studying Communications Studies at the University of Georgia. Her favorite shows include Glee, New Girl, and Friends! After college, she hopes to move to New York and work in Public Relations or Event Planning. She loves to travel, write, and hang out with her friends.