Top 10 Reasons to do the Disney College Program Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Top 10 Reasons to do the Disney College Program

College is filled with many opportunities to do internships, and studies abroad, but how do you know which one is right for you?

If you have always loved Disney or like the idea of “living, learning, and earning” at Walt Disney World or Disneyland Park, then you should consider applying for the Disney College Program!  Here are my top 10 reasons why:

1.      It’s free/You make money

§  I know everyone has been jealous at some point seeing their friends Facebook pictures in Italy or Australia, but not everyone has the thousands of dollars it costs to study abroad.  On the Disney College Program, you also get a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I guarantee you will have just as many amazing picture memories as they do.  Also, as part of the “living, learning, earning” model that the program follows, you work and get paid, unlike many internships.

2.      Disney looks awesome on your résumé

§  Even if you don’t want to work for Disney in the future, it is a Fortune 100 company that looks great on your résumé for any future employer.  You can also maintain great relationships with your managers that can help write references for you in the future.

3.      You go to the parks for free

§  On your days off, before or after your shift, you have unlimited access to all Disney Parks (yes, all over the world).  You also have exclusive cast member merchandise and dining discounts, and are even granted a limited number of passes for your friends and family to enter the parks.

4.      You can take classes for credit (or not)

§  If you are looking to learn something as well as have fun, then this is the program for you.  There are collegiate courses offered that can count for college credit, as well as many voluntary lectures and seminars with leaders in all departments of the Walt Disney Company, which is a huge networking tool.  If you don’t want to take classes, however, they are not required.

5.      You can do it after you graduate

§  If you want to work at Disney, but don’t have time to fit it into your college schedule, you can still do it the semester after you graduate.  The only requirement is that you apply while you are still in college or participating on another college program.  This is perfect for that time after college when you’re not quite sure about entering the job-market yet.

6.      You will make life-long friends and meet people from all over the world

§  In your work locations and housing complexes, you will meet different people from across the country, and all around the world.  The International College Program is open to students in many different countries (hello cute British boys!).  This provides you with a huge diverse cultural experience and even gives you an excuse to travel and visit your friends after your program!

7.      You have opportunities for Professional Internships and advancement within the company

§  After participating in a Disney College Program, you have a special advantage when applying to Disney Professional Internships.  Also in your work locations, you maintain great relationships with your managers that can provide references for you as you apply for internships and other jobs with the company.

8.       They provide housing and buses

§  You chose to live in one of three Disney-run apartment complexes, and you don’t have to worry about paying rent on time, it comes out of your paycheck automatically.  Also, the buses are perfect if you don’t have a car, or want to save on gas money.  They will take you to work, the parks, the grocery store, mall, and other area stores and attractions!

9.      You are a part of the magic

§  If you have ever been to a Disney park, remember the first time you saw Cinderella Castle, or met your favorite princess.  The best part about being a Disney cast member is the ability to create magic for guests every day.  Whether you are working at the turnstiles and greeting guests to Magic Kingdom, or lifeguarding at a resort pool, you are helping to create the magical experience for each guest that visits.

10.  It’s the experience of a lifetime!

§  Between the special housing events, “living, learning, earning” aspects, and meeting new friends, this is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience!  I guarantee you will make so many memories that you will cherish forever!

Applications are now live at disneycollegeprogram.com!  They close on March 29th so apply today!