Thoughts After Binge-Watching ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

When it comes to binge-watching shows, most people would go for some light comedy, like Parks & Recreation, or a thrilling true crime story, like the Ted Bundy Tapes. Instead, I chose to binge watch a show that people had explicitly said wouldn’t be a good show to binge watch due to its eerily realistic dystopian nature. That’s right, I recently watched all of The Handmaid’s Tale in a very short amount of time. Here are my thoughts.

I want to drop kick Fred Waterford into the sun.

He’s a serial rapist who needs to be stopped, and that’s that.

Will these creepy religious Gilead phrases ever leave my head?

Blessed be the fruit. May the Lord open.

This show is so dark. Like, literally, I can’t see anything.

I understand they’re in a dystopia, but could they turn a light on or something?

Aunt Lydia leaves me seriously conflicted.

She clearly loves and feels sympathetic to “her girls,” but she also lets them suffer and tries to get them to kill each other, so, she deserved that attack from Emily.

Speaking of conflicting characters, can Serena Joy get her act together?

We know she was at one point a prominent female author and speaker who can’t even legally read now. Can she please leave Gilead? Also, I got whiplash from all the times she hated Offred and wanted her gone and then wanted to be her best friend. 

Whenever Rita makes a snarky comment, an angel sings.

A true queen.

It’s kind of messed up that June wants a life with Nick and Holly, and Luke and Hannah.

This is definitely not going to end well for someone—probably June. But also, her whole life is seriously messed up at this point.

Alexis Bledel is so good as Emily.

It’s no wonder she won a Primetime Emmy for her role.

I hope Moira and Luke have bigger roles next season. 

We didn’t forget you two, up in Canada!

June DIDN’T GET ON THE VAN TO POTENTIAL FREEDOM?!

GIRL. How is she going to get herself out of this one?

All that said, I can’t wait for The Handmaid’s Tale to have new episodes on Hulu in June. Some photos (with spoilers!) from filming in Washington, D.C. look as haunting as ever. Don’t forget—”nolite te bastardes carborundorum.”

Maggie is pursing a Public Relations degree with a certificate in Public Affairs Communications at the University of Georgia. Her favorite cities are Washington, D.C. and Orlando, Florida. Her regular Starbucks order is a grande iced vanilla coffee, and you can find her on Instagram and Twitter @maggie_cav.