This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

You’ve probably heard of healing frequencies or sound healing at some point in your life. You’ve probably stumbled across a video on Youtube for them, seen a playlist on Spotify, or maybe even have a friend that swears by sound healing for different aspects of their lives. But what exactly are healing frequencies and how do they work?

THE SCIENCE

The Solfeggio Frequencies are distinct tones of sound that promote certain areas of body and mind health. These frequencies are measured in Hertz (Hz), a unit of frequency equal to one cycle per second. Sound healing dates back to ancient history and is said to be used by both Western Christianity and Eastern Indian religions, as it’s chanted by the Gregorian Monks and used in ancient Indian Sanskrit chants. Until 1988, there was no scientific explanation as to why these specific frequencies promoted health in the human body and mind. 

In 1988, Dr. Glen Rein, a biochemist, conducted an experiment in which he exposed different vials of DNA to 4 different types of music with different frequencies: Gregorian chants, Sanskrit chants, classical, and rock. He measured the rate of UV light absorption (an important function for healthy DNA) in the different vials and was able to determine the different effects each type of music (or more specifically different frequencies) has on human DNA. 

He discovered that these frequencies can actually change the shape of our DNA strands, and the changed shape can affect our moods and feelings. 

In a similar experiment, scientists found that when experiencing positive emotions (love, gratitude, etc.), our DNA strands relax and unwind, becoming longer, whereas when experiencing negative emotions (fear, anger, etc.), our DNA tightens and constricts, becoming shorter and switching off many of our DNA codes associated with health issues. The shortening and tightening of DNA strands can be reversed when positive feelings are felt again, lengthening the DNA strands and turning back on the previously shut-off DNA codes. 

In the same way that emotions can change the shape of our DNA, certain frequencies can also change the shape of our DNA. This in turn makes us experience the emotions associated with the altered shape of our DNA, promoting mental and physical health as they coincide. 

THE SOLFEGGIO FREQUENCIES

There are 6 main Solfeggio Frequencies, each with different effects.

432 Hz

Calming, soothing, and peaceful. Great for yoga, gentle exercise, meditation, or sleep.

528 Hz

Reduces stress in the endocrine systems and autonomic nervous systems. Fosters energizing and healing. Great for any time you feel under the weather or simply need to unwind.

396 Hz

Removes subconscious fears, worries, and anxiety. Eliminates feelings of guilt and subconscious negative beliefs. Great for when you want to feel more uplifted, and secure, and give power to your goals and dreams.

639 Hz

Balances emotions and elevates mood. Promotes communication, love, understanding, and harmony. Great for when you need a boost of love and positivity or are dealing with conflicts in relationships.

741 Hz

Problem-solving, cleansing the body, and self-expression. Awakens intuition and promotes living simply and purely. Great for if you’re struggling with living a healthy lifestyle, expressing creativity, or speaking your truth.

852 Hz

Replaces negative thoughts with positive ones, and reduces anxiety and nervousness. Great for if you’re seeking to communicate with and live in harmony with your highest self.

Each frequency has positive effects that can improve your day-to-day life. Although listening to these frequencies is not necessary to live a perfect and healthy life, they’re a tool for when you need an extra boost!

I am a first year studying Graphic Design and Business Marketing! I have a passion for the arts and volunteer service. I love photography, making playlists, and animals!