Survivor: Single Ladies Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The red and pink wall displays at Target and cheesy Kay jewelry commercials can only mean one thing, Valentines Day is among us. If you have a “lovah” to buy you chocolates and take you to the early seating at Last Resort, then sorry sweetie but this article is not for you. However, if you were one of the ladies who Santa forgot to leave Ryan Gosling under the Christmas tree for, keep reading.

As a single girl myself, I know how unbearably annoying the constant commercials reminding you of your cat lady status can be, so I want to help return the sweetness to singles awareness day. Whether you’re spending the night alone or with your other independent ladies, this guide is your go to for making the best of the Hallmark holiday.

If you’re a downtowner. . . .

V-day falls on a Thursday this year, which means downtown Athens will be in the full party swing. Call up your girls and plan a night out on the town, celebrating the fact that you don’t have a ball and chain to worry about. Since most of the nicer restaurants will be like  “opening day of the Victoria’s Secret sale” crowded, make plans for somewhere less frequented but just as fabulous. The Capital Room has ladies night every Thursday, with $3 martinis all night and happy hour from 3-7. Go drink a vampire kiss and split a delicious flatbread with your bestie. If you’re hitting the town with all of your ladies, make a reservation for a karaoke room at Shokatini and sing away the single blues.

If you’re on a budget. . . .

If you’re celebrating on a budget, stop by Taco Stand and split a pitcher of “margs” with your ladies, because there is no relationship more beautiful or delicious than the union of tortilla chips and cheese dip. Once your bellies are full and your voice is gone from doing your best Beyoncé impression, it’s time to hit the town. Since Thursday is one of the biggest nights for going out, just about every bar in Athens will be running drink specials until about midnight. But even after the deals run out, all the cute single boys will still be there to refill your drinks.

If you’re not a downtowner. . . .

If downtown isn’t your scene, the Tate Movie Theater will be playing Cruel Intentions at 8 pm, with tickets at the exorbitant price of $1. Smuggle some candy in your purse and spend the evening with this classic high school drama.

If spending the night in is more your thing, you can still have a great time without ever having to get out of your sweats. Craving some sushi but don’t feel like putting on makeup? Call up Bulldawg Food, a delivery service that brings the best restaurants in Athens right to your doorstep, and get some Inoko in your hands without the risk of that cute guy in your calc class seeing you in pajama pants. What goes great with takeout? A DVD! If redbox doesn’t have what you’re looking for, Vision Video has hundreds of new releases, as well as old classics, all with an everyday special of five movies for five dollars! That means you can get five movies where Channing Tatum takes his shirt off for less than the price of a latte, talk about a beautiful investment.

I hope this singles survival guide has helped all you gorgeous girls come up with some amazing Valentines plans. Whether you’re spending it with your ladies or with your couch, you can be sure to have a great night in the classic city. If you need any more recommendations, I’ll be in my room mapping out my half priced candy shopping strategy for February 15th. Happy Valentine’s Day, Collegiettes!