jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Stages of Being Ghosted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As most college girls will tell you, being single in college is absolutely awesome. You can do whatever you want with whoever you want. There is a power in that freedom that makes single girls an empowered, fierce breed of collegiettes. But next to the long list of pros to being a single girl in college, there is a (much smaller) list of cons. Being ghosted by a boy is definitely on the top of that cons list. My single girls will attest to the fact that no matter how fierce we act when the person you like starts to ignore you for no reason after a couple dates- it’s going to sting a little. Like any process of getting over something, there are stages of being ghosted. My single girls out there will recognize these stages, but here’s a little spoiler, ghosts, us girls will get over it.

Denial

The first reaction when the person you like suddenly turns into a ghost is denial. Ladies, raise your hand if you’ve ever said one of these.

“He’s totally going to text me back.” “He’s probably just busy.” “If he doesn’t text me tomorrow, then I’ll be worried.”

Anger

Then you obviously get pissed off.

“Who does he think he is?”  “Does he know who I am?”

Bargaining

It all goes downhill when you start to realize that this is no longer a person and now you’re dealing with a ghost. You start to bargain.

“I bet if I just text him, we can totally work this out.”

Depression

After 5 unanswered texts, 3 read receipted snapchats, you hit an all-time low.

“What did I do wrong? I must have done something.” “Why does no one love me?” *melodrama ensues*

Acceptance

Then you remember you don’t want anyone who doesn’t want you, and you set your ghost free.

Caitlyn is a fourth year student at the University of Georgia. She is pursuing a double degree in journalism and women's studies with a new media certificate and an interdisciplinary writing certificate. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UGA. Caitlyn spends her free time drinking tea, being a book worm, and imagining new fictional characters to write about.