This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

However you’re spending your Halloween, music is essential to setting the mood. There are, of course, the classic Halloween songs—“Monster Mash,” “This Is Halloween,” etc. But here’s a playlist of songs that are not necessarily Halloween-themed but are nevertheless spooky sounding and will definitely get you hyped up for the night of nightmares.

“Freak (feat REI AMI)” by Sub Urban

You might have heard Sub Urban’s “Cradles” on TikTok. His entire discography is spooky-sounding, but I definitely think “Freak” fits the Halloween mood the best. It’s suspenseful and creepy—the perfect tune for the spookiest of nights.

“Twisted Games” by Night Panda and Krigare

If you lean more towards the manic, insane side of Halloween, meet your new theme song. “Twisted Games” could easily be on a horror movie’s soundtrack. I guarantee when you hear the following line you will, indeed, want to lose your mind: “I lost my mind / But I’m doing just fine / I don’t need my mind.” 

“heathens” by Twenty One Pilots

“heathens” will make you feel powerful. It’s the perfect “squad” song if you’re hanging out with your friends (or should I say “heathens?”) this Halloween.

“Panic Room” by Au/Ra

“Panic Room” is a lot deeper than just its creepy instrumentals—it’s actually about anxiety and panic attacks. What’s really cool about this song, though, is that it personifies anxiety as a monster. You can get spooky and intuitive with “Panic Room.” What else is there to ask for?

“all the good girls go to hell” by Billie Eilish

Both a haunting tune as well as a call to girl power, this one’s just a lot of fun to listen to. I mean, with all of the references to the devil, I feel like I’d be doing a disservice by not including it in this playlist.

“Believer” by Imagine Dragons

What is it about this song that just makes me feel like a powerful villain ready to demolish the world? Seriously, everything from the vocals to the drums to the suspense to the lyrics just make this one of the most empowering songs to listen to. “Believer” is guaranteed to get you hyped up for Halloween.

“oh god” by Mothica

“oh god” is a really dark and epic sounding song! Just imagine this song in the background while you’re gazing at the full moon that’s going to be up on Halloween night—if that’s not a spooky picture, then I don’t know what is!

“Valley of the Dolls” by MARINA

“Valley of the Dolls” is a hauntingly beautiful song. It definitely gives off witchy and magical vibes. Perhaps it’s not “spooky” per se, but it combines dark and dramatic sounds to create that perfect niche mood for spooky season.

Whether you’re going to a safe and socially distanced gathering with your friends or you’re spending the night alone baking some fall treats, good music is a must-have. Happy listening!

Nimra studies International Affairs and Journalism at the University of Georgia. She's a first-generation Pakistani-American who loves reading, astrology, Taylor Swift, and daydreaming.