david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Social Distancing-Friendly Ideas for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Just because we won’t be having a traditional Halloween this year due to COVID-19 safety precautions doesn’t mean that we can’t still have a blast on October 31! Here are six things you can do this Halloween that don’t involve putting yourself or others in danger.

Host a socially distant horror movie night outside.

Grab a projector or stop by a drive-in theatre to have a spooky film night with your friends! Bring your fluffiest blankets, yummiest snacks (candy is necessary, of course), and your favorite horror or Halloween-themed movie for a fun night!

Stage the ultimate Halloween photoshoot.

You can still dress up this year, but instead of going out, have an awesome spooky photoshoot! And if you’re feeling adventurous, check out Four Ways to Up Your Instagram Game this Fall to see a few tips to ensure that your photoshoot produces some BOMB pictures for IG.

Hold a Halloween Themed Bake Off.

Throw a socially distant or virtual bakeoff! You and your friends can all bake and/or decorate Halloween and spooky themed cookies and cupcakes and vote on the best decorated and best tasting winners! (Of course, make sure you’re safe and use extra precautions if you’re going to be sharing your creations).

Host a spooky (or not) themed bonfire.

Being outdoors is a great way to hang out with your friends for the holiday while still adhering to social distancing guidelines! Set up chairs six feet apart and have a late night bonfire complete with s’mores for a fun fall activity that will leave you both physically and emotionally warm inside.

Carve or paint some pumpkins.

One super important part of Halloween is already pandemic-proof! Grab a pumpkin and your family or a small group of friends to participate in some good ol’ pumpkin carving or decoration. Plus, this is super easy to do at a safe distance if you do it outside! Bonus points if you roast the seeds afterward for a tasty fall snack!

Have a spooky game night.

Whether that means you just grab your favorite board games or try to get some scarier themed ones, a game night is a perfect way to stay in and enjoy Halloween from the comfort of your home. Consider playing a spooky game like Clue, Werewolf, or even look into buying a Murder Mystery box-like Hunt a Killer for a fun-filled night. Plus, candy for the guests is a must.

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t have a fun Halloween this year, even if you aren’t able to go out like you originally planned. Stay safe and Happy Haunting!

Hannah is currently a Fisheries & Wildlife major pursuing a certificate in Environmental Education. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she can usually be found watching TikToks or looking at animals somewhere.