“A Series of Unfortunate Events” Season 2: Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Season two of “A Series of Unfortunate Events” is not so unfortunate. The second season of the popular Netflix series, based on the book series written by Lemony Snicket, premiered on March 31st. The series picks up where it left off, and follows Baudelaire orphans, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny, in their misadventures escaping the clutches of Count Olaf (Neil Patrick Harris). The second season follows the storylines of The Austere Academy, The Eratz Elevator,The Vile Village, The Hostile Hospital, and The Carnivorous Carnival. The second season provides audiences with the perfect balance of humor and misery.

In the first episode, the Baudelaires’ attend Prufrock Prep and meet Carmelita Spats (Kitana Turnball). Carmelita is bratty, spoiled, and obnoxious, yet she was one of the many standouts this season. You love to hate her during her funny scenes. While at the academy, the Baudelaires’ also meet new companions, the Quagmire siblings, Isadora and Duncan. Like the Baudelaires, they too lost their parents in a fire along with their brother, Quigley. They also meet the school’s librarian, Olivia Caliban (Sara Rue). Olivia Caliban, is sweet and smart, yet brave and fearless as she attempts to help the Baudelaires’, as they uncover their family secrets.

As the episodes progress, the orphans begin to unveil secrets about their parents and a secret organization they once belonged to, V.F.D. After Olaf’s attempt and taking the Baudelaires’ fortune fails, they move to the city to live with their new guardian, Esme Squalor (Lucy Punch). A wealthy and powerful financial advisor who is obsessed with all things that are “in”. We later discover that Esme is in on Count Olaf’s scheme. Punch portrays Esme as a fashionable and sophisticated woman, with an affinity for all things evil and wicked and “in”.

Lastly, as always, Neil Patrick Harris is brilliant this season. Olaf is terrifying, cunning, silly, and hilarious. With every disguise Olaf personifies, Harris totally brings the character to life. You can now stream seasons one and two of A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix.

I am a third year student at UGA and an intended broadcast journalism major.