Savannah Barnes: Disney Darling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Everyone, meet Savannah Barnes!

A third year transfer student from Georgia Southern, this collegiette is a true University of Georgia legacy. Most of her family is UGA alumni, including both of her parents.

Her favorite part of being a bulldog? Losing her voice while cheering on the dawgs every Saturday in the fall.

“I’m a huge football fan,” she says. “Some of my fondest memories are of my whole family going together.”

If you can’t find her in Sanford Stadium, or in the audience of one of the UGA theater productions (she loves them!), you may find her celebrating with Chick-fil-a (her favorite).

“I just got into Grady for advertising,” she tells us. “I’m super excited! I finally have a major, so I’m no longer wandering around aimlessly.”

This semester, though, Savannah is taking a little time off to do something truly magical –she’s participating in the Disney College Program!

“I’ve always loved Disney, so the Disney Program was something I’d always wanted to do,” she says.

That doesn’t mean it’s all fun and games, though. Savannah is a lifeguard working at two resorts in Walt Disney World –the Art of Animation Hotel (where music plays underwater) and Pop Century Hotel.

“It’s hard work, so you have to expect that, but it doesn’t really feel like work.”

Her favorite part about the job? The guest interaction –especially all those little princes and princesses!

“You know when it’s their first time to Disney because they usually wear the first time button –and we get to create those magical moments for them,” says Savannah.

She loves the job so much, in fact, that she extended her time through July.

“I miss my friends in Athens, but I’ve made such good friends here, too… I didn’t feel that being here until May was enough time!”

As much as she misses UGA (being on campus is her favorite place to be), she says, “I couldn’t imagine not doing this program. It’s life changing. It’s helped me become who I want to be as an adult.”

Here’s hoping she brings some of those life-changing experiences back with her to UGA! Just in time for football season, too. 

Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).