Post Spring Break Blues As Told By The Five Stages of Grief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

They say, “all good things must come to an end.” Fun in the sun is now a distant memory. My fellow collegiates, spring break is over. The post spring break blues appears near the top of the list as one of the most lethal conditions that affect college students today, closely followed by senioritis. Students experience a wide range of symptoms including fatigue, irritability and stress. An intense healing process is necessary to deal with the trauma of losing something so beloved. The following compilation features the post spring break blues as told by the five stages of grief.

1. Denial 

“This is not happening. It feels like we just got out of school yesterday. Nope. I don’t believe it.”

2. Anger

“THIS IS RIDICULOUS! ONE WEEK IS NOT EVEN A REAL BREAK! I HAD NO TIME TO GET ANYTHING DONE! I’M DONE! I QUIT!”   

3. Bargaining 

“God, please. I know you’re up there. If school could just get canceled for a few more days, I promise I’ll be a better person, I actually might try to go to class this time.”

4. Depression

“I can’t do this. I just can’t. I can’t live like this. This is the end. Why me, Lord?”

5. Acceptance 

“I have two term papers, two exams, and a project due when I get back, but it’s fine. I’m fine.”

Everyone grieves differently, but our hurt is still the same. It’s time to move on, sis. Don’t allow the loss of spring break to diminish your motivation to succeed, because we must remember that real adulting doesn’t have spring breaks. Find a group of supportive friends and end the semester better than how you started. Finish strong!

Photos courtesy of giphy.com and unsplash.com.

Kelsey is a fourth year student studying journalism with a minor in communication studies in Athens at the University of Georgia. As a social media specialist for the Charlotte-based digital branding and career consulting agency, The Dean’s List, she assists in developing strategy and repurposing content for audiences on multiple platforms After graduating in Fall 2020, she hopes to start a career in marketing and public relations. Kelsey is a former public speaking national champion and columnist for the Florida/Georgia star. This past summer, she helped welcome over 5,000 new students to the University of Georgia as an Orientation Leader. Some of her other campus involvement includes the Student Alumni Council, University Housing, UGA Career Center Brand Ambassadors and Georgia Football Recruiting. She's been dedicated to inspiring young women through her faith-based lifestyle brand, Uniquely You, since 2016. When she's not working for the Dean’s List or living her best life at UGA, you can catch Kelsey singing Beyonce’s greatest hits, journaling her thoughts or trying out the newest shades of Mac lipstick.