An Open Letter to the Person Who Called Me Racist For Being Republican

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Dear Friend, 

With politics all around us, it’s natural for you to talk to your friends and ask them who they are voting for, which is totally okay. I think that we, as young people, AKA millenials, need to be more involved in politics and begin to think more for ourselves. Among many people our age, it’s our first presidental election and it’s easy to get caught up in the emotion of it. In my opinion, being conservative in college is rather difficult because there are people of many different backgrounds and differing views all around me. That’s why I choose to keep my political affiliations and opinions private. At my refusal to answer your question of who I was voting for, you replied, “Oh you must be a republican,” and from there, you took it a step further and said, with a look of disdain on your face, that I therefore must “support Trump,” and furthermore if I supported Trump it was automatically assumed that I was “racist and sexist.” I have never felt so insulted and angry at someone who I thought was my friend. Never in my life had I been judged so quickly and so irrationally.

In my opinion, there is no right or wrong answer in poltics and everyone has a right to their opinion. We, as the future of America, need to learn how to respectfully disagree with other people’s opinions whether we believe in them or not. I want to inform you that I am neither racist nor sexist. As a woman, I believe in equal pay and equal rights for women. It just doesn’t make sense to not believe in equal rights for women as a woman. Secondly, how dare you throw around racism like it isn’t a weighted topic and very real issue in our society today. You don’t know what’s in my heart, or how I appreciate different cultures and strive to learn new things every day. How dare you throw your opinions in my face while suppressing my first amendment right to speak my mind. No matter who I am voting for or who you are voting for, there is no need to personally attack me based on a single fact.

As a country, we have digressed and all we do is throw names at each other without putting real thought or independent thinking into it. As a conservative, I shouldn’t have to fear voicing my opinion. Everyone, and I mean everyone, has the right to their values and beliefs whether you agree with it or not.