An Open Letter to The Church Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Dear Church Girl,

As I am writing this note of encouragement to you, I am also affirming these truths for myself. I hope this letter will remind you of who you are and better yet whose you are.

Sister, you are an unsung hero, a quiet strength. Although you don’t desire the spotlight, your presence demands attention. You might feel overlooked and ignored, but people notice the choices that you make. Your character and integrity speaks to the truth of the woman you are, and more importantly the woman that God created you to be.

People may call you “Miss Goodie Two-Shoes” or “The Perfect Little Angel,” but you are more than those simplistic labels. You are more than “cute” and “nice.” You reach much farther than the confining limitations this world puts on you. You’re not just a dainty flower, my beloved. You are fire. You are a powerful wind. Passion and purpose burn behind your eyes. You possess the power to overcome whatever is set before you. You are fierce.

Your beauty lies within your heart. Your ability to overcome evil with good and open your mouth with wisdom makes you more alluring than you will ever know. Guard your heart, sweet sister, because everything you do starts from there. Don’t give your heart to someone or something that doesn’t deserve it. You are more precious than jewels. There is a purpose and plan for your life that is beyond your wildest imagination. It is exceedingly, abundantly, and above all that you can ask or think. Don’t allow distractions from the outside world, personal insecurities, or irrational fears to stop you from receiving your destiny of abundant life.

I salute you, my sister, for I am you and you are me. We mirror one another. I share your greatest joys and deepest sorrows, because I go through the same struggles you face. I promise you that it’s worth it. Every time you feel invisible or misunderstood is a call from the Father to draw near to Him. He sees you. He knows you. Every time you are denied something that you want so desperately is a loving no for a greater yes. You are not forgotten. You are never forsaken. Every time it seems like living your life another way is somehow more fulfilling is a sign that a breakthrough is approaching. Sweetheart, don’t grow weary of doing good. I know it’s hard sometimes, but remember there is a place that is being prepared for you that’s better than anything this world has ever seen. Keep going, keep striving, keep thriving. Take heart, my friend, because in the end you will win.

Signed,

A Fellow Church Girl

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

Kelsey is a fourth year student studying journalism with a minor in communication studies in Athens at the University of Georgia. As a social media specialist for the Charlotte-based digital branding and career consulting agency, The Dean’s List, she assists in developing strategy and repurposing content for audiences on multiple platforms After graduating in Fall 2020, she hopes to start a career in marketing and public relations. Kelsey is a former public speaking national champion and columnist for the Florida/Georgia star. This past summer, she helped welcome over 5,000 new students to the University of Georgia as an Orientation Leader. Some of her other campus involvement includes the Student Alumni Council, University Housing, UGA Career Center Brand Ambassadors and Georgia Football Recruiting. She's been dedicated to inspiring young women through her faith-based lifestyle brand, Uniquely You, since 2016. When she's not working for the Dean’s List or living her best life at UGA, you can catch Kelsey singing Beyonce’s greatest hits, journaling her thoughts or trying out the newest shades of Mac lipstick.