New Instagram Account “I Am Like Other Girls” Teaches Women To Support Each Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

“I’m not like other girls.”

I’ve been guilty of saying this line, jokingly, but I still have said it nonetheless. Sure, I thought it was cliché, but I never saw the problem with it. More recently I realized why this saying is problematic. Everyone wants to feel special, I am no different, but casting aside being a female is not the answer. Girls have to stick together and support each other.

I recently discovered an Instagram account that has the same sentiments as I do on this topic. I follow Women in the World on Twitter and they had an article about two art students who have created an Instagram account to push back against this cliché. Tara Anand and Ellie Lee started this Instagram to combat the cliché after hearing someone say they’re not like “other girls” and having a conversation with their friends about it. On Instagram there is a post saying, “Too many of us try to achieve individuality by distancing ourselves from our gender but who decides what girls are like?” Below is one of my  favorite posts from the account.

I am like other girls, and I am proud of it.

Their Instagram reached over 1,000 followers in just 4 days and continues to gain more. They currently have over 5,000 followers. You can follow their Instagram at @iamlikeothergirls.

To read more from Tara and Ellie, their full interview is on Feminisminindia.com, and if you want to stay up to date on current events affecting women follow @womenintheworld on Twitter.

Thumbnail Photo by Nicole Adams on Unsplash

Alli is majoring in Public Relations at UGA. She enjoys hiking, coffee, and reading. In her free time, you can find her hanging with her dog and binge-watching shows on Netflix.