This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

I know that half of you read the word “networking” and had a mini heart attack. I know I did. Attending in-person career fairs and obtaining internships are fantastic and should be encouraged, but they are not the only way to build valuable connections. If you struggle with social anxiety or reaching out to people makes your stomach do somersaults, we’ve got you covered. Sometimes, small steps can lead to a huge opportunity, so don’t belittle them! Furthermore, here is your shy-girl how-to list for chill networking. 

Ask for Informational Interviews Via Linkedin

I believe this is it for all of you wondering how to get your foot in a door anywhere—look up people on LinkedIn who are alumni at your college, and reach out to them. Send them a professional introductory message telling them you are interested in their work and would love to learn more. Just do it. If you message someone who attended your university, you have a better chance of receiving a reply. Even better, reach out to someone who was in your same major. Look up job titles you are interested in and find the people connected to you that have those jobs. 

Email A Professor with a couple of questions 

I understand it can be challenging to walk up to a professor in person, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Instead of introducing yourself through email before chatting in person, this is a great way to go. Pick a professor who has experience in the field you are interested in and email them a little about yourself. Tell them you would love to pick up any opportunity they stumble upon.

Volunteer on Campus

Volunteering is a fantastic way to build connections. If you can volunteer for something within your field, great! If not, that’s okay, too. Look up things going on on campus and attend, even if it’s just for an hour. I find that building connections without the pressure of it being a networking event can go a long way. Who knows, you might meet someone who knows someone who could get you a job! Worth it. 

Virtual Events

These events are all over the internet and provided through your university. Virtual events can include conversation or just sit-in informational sessions, and you can choose whichever you feel. Both will give you information on how to immerse yourself in your field, whether through a small discussion or by listening and learning which steps to take next.

Take Advantage of Remote Work 

Online work is awesome. If there has been anything positive from the pandemic, it is the possibility to work from anywhere. Remote opportunity opens up thousands of learning opportunities for you! Apply to whatever you can if you think it will value your schedule, even just a volunteer position. Giving you hands-on experience and a network of coworkers, online work is a great way to learn something new. 

Caroline is a senior at the University of Georgia studying journalism and international affairs. One day, she aspires to be a copywriter, editor, or UX writer. She thoroughly enjoys writing, sushi, cats, coffee, and long walks to her refrigerator.