My Favorite Comfort Movies for When You’re Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Everyone has those days where in the end you just want to collapse onto the couch. I always find that comfort movies (and comfort foods!) are the perfect tools to cheer me up on days like this. Here are some of my favorite movies to watch when I just feel like I need a hug.

1o things I hate about you

This movie is literally just pure serotonin. It has everything you need — a solid romance, a unique cast of characters, and an amazing soundtrack. It never fails to bring a smile to your face and it never grows old. Of things to hate, this movie is not one of them.

10 Things I Hate About You Julia Stiles Heath Ledger
Touchstone Pictures
pride and prejudice (2005)

Everyone has a moment in their lives where they wish they could be in a Jane Austen novel so that they could just gossip, read, and relax all day. This movie is so immersive; you truly live the Jane Austen experience, and it’s the start of Kiera Knightly in her period-piece era. The soundtrack is super calming and it’s the perfect film for a girls’ night. If you love Greta Gerwig’s Little Women, check this one out!

mean girls

This movie is a classic for a reason. If you feel like you are on the verge of a Regina George character arc (which is totally understandable), this movie is a great way to harness all of your feelings. It’s also perfect when dealing with school stress specifically, so definitely check it out next time you feel that post-test stress!

gone girl

I know this one seems like a bit of a shocker, and I would definitely read the trigger warnings before watching this one. However, the way this film portrays feminine rage is so fascinating, and it makes it a fun girls’ night movie. To everyone on their anti-men arch, this is the perfect movie to live vicariously through in rage. Although, please do not actually commit the actions in this movie. Ok, disclaimer done!

jaane Tu…Ya Jaane na

This choice might seem strange, and most of y’all probably have not heard of this one. This is such a fun Bollywood musical/rom-com that is just so light-hearted that it is guaranteed to pick you up on any day. Most of the jokes translate well to the captions as well, so if you are interested in checking out Bollywood films, this is a perfect one to watch on a day when you feel down.

the amazing spider-man

Andrew Garfield in a spandex super-suit, and Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy’s onstage chemistry. That is all that needs to be said on this one. 

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

The later Chronicles of Narnia films do not get enough credit for being as fun as they are. The character growth and journeys are always a fun watch, combined with the right bit of action when needed. Also, Ben Barnes’s Telemaranian accent is 10/10 (and his natural accent is also 10/10). This is the perfect film to watch when you need to make your inner child happy.

lemonade mouth

Every good comfort movie watchlist has to end with a Disney Channel Original classic. I’d be surprised if you aren’t singing the songs in this movie for the next week after watching this flick! This is such a fun movie about camaraderie, high school, and identity, and is definitely worth the rewatch (or for the first time!)

Hopefully, these films bring you happiness and good vibes during those tough days. It’s always important to take care of yourself, so take the time this week to do that. Enjoy!

Medhini is a first year student at UGA, majoring in Cell Biology, on the premed track, and minoring in the Classics. She listens to Taylor Swift 24/7, and loves to read. Follow her bookstagram @storyofusmedsversion!