palace theatre signage 3004075?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
palace theatre signage 3004075?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Movie Releases In 2019 To Get Excited About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Going to the movies is an experience like no other. There is electricity in the air when you walk into the theater to finally see that movie you’ve been waiting on for months. The anticipation builds with every passing trailer and you can practically hear the excitement in every crunch of popcorn and candy. Whether you go to the movies on date nights, family outings, by yourself or with your siblings to wait in line hours beforehand to get the best seat, there is a movie for you this year. Our favorite directors, actors and actresses are putting some of their best work on the big screen over the next 12 months and we can’t wait! Here’s a little guide to this year’s blockbusters.

Action/Adventure

Avengers: Endgame (April 26)

Arguably the most anticipated movie of the year and possibly ever. Will the new addition of Captain Marvel to the team bring the superheroes all together again? Tying up loose ends—will that be a good thing or a bad thing? How closely aligned to the original comics will the movie be? Will the good guys actually win in this one (unlike the outcome of Infinity War)? Questions aside, movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are something special. Whether you’re into superheroes or not, the buzz around these movies is impossible to get away from. We have spent years getting to know these characters and let’s be honest with ourselves… we’ve gotten attached. I think it’s safe to say we’re all a little nervous for this one. On a positive note, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Tom Holland all in front of the camera at once? Yes, please.

Captain Marvel (March 8)

Brie Larson is looking fiercely cool and effortlessly gorgeous as always in her new role. This is a new heroine for the big screen, but we do know that if Nick Fury’s first instinct when half the world is disappearing is to call her, she must be pretty dang special. This movie will explain her origin story, which takes place in the 90’s and depicts her role in a fight between aliens. We can’t wait to watch her kick butt and then come help the gang in Endgame

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5)

So I guess Thanos didn’t really make him disappear? Will this be solved in Captain Marvel? Who knows! Quite literally everyone agrees that Tom Holland was meant to be Spider-man. Tom’s giddiness to play the character perfectly matches Peter’s enthusiasm when discovering his powers. This time Peter finds himself on a school trip to Europe. He decides he wants to leave the super responsibilties at home for the summer and just spend time with his friends and his boo, MJ. However, things don’t go as planned. A surprise visit from Nick Fury and some “elemental” villains changes the course of his vacation. The release of the new trailer surprised many people because now it appears that Jake Gyllenhaal’s character, Mysterio, is not the villain after all. All we know is that Tom hasn’t revealed any spoilers yet! Good job, bud!

Star Wars: Episode IX (Dec. 20)

As we come to the end of yet another legendary series, we are so nostalgic. The anticipation for these movies is unprecedented. The fans are fanatics and the creators continually impress. No one just casually likes Star Wars, you must love Star Wars. This movie was meant to premiere seven months earlier, but due to unspecified reasons the date was pushed back. Perhaps JJ Abrams was in need of a few more months to get things just right, or it might be due to the tragic death of Carrie Fisher, who was meant to play a significant role in the film. In this episode, we follow Rey, Finn and Poe once again as, we assume, they inevitably fight off those who are trying to destroy the galaxy. We are sure this movie will be just as adored as the others. 

Romantic

5 Feet Apart (March 22)

Calling all Riverdale (or Suite Life) lovers! Cole Sprouse stars alongside Haley Lu Richardson in this young-adult romance. The two characters are patients in the same hospital and although they fight the feelings, they fall in love. However, their circumstances do not make it easy for the two to be together. Both of them are being treated for Cystic Fibrosis, a lung disease that causes an especially dangerous situation when spending time around someone with the same illness. Although there is some criticism that this movie might romanticize an illness that can be a devastating reality, others who experience the effects of the disease in real life say that from what they see in the trailer, it seems to be the most medically accurate and representative than other Hollywood portrayals in the past. The movie gets its clever name based on the medical advice that two people with CF, who are more likely to get one another sick, stay at least six feet apart at all times. These two take the rule into their own hands and shorten the distance just a bit. 

Isn’t It Romantic (Feb. 13)

The always entertaining Rebel Wilson is back with another rom-com that will premiere the day before the most romantic day of the year—Valentine’s Day. If you need a lighthearted comedy for date night or a funny movie to see with the gals, this could be the movie for you. Discouraged by her cynical mother at a young age about the ridiculous idea of love, Wilson’s character grows up to be a cynic herself. She is quite surprised when after a series of events finds herself in her very own real life romantic comedy. Some may call this storyline “meta” since it is a romantic comedy about being in a romantic comedy. That leaves the question of, will she break the fourth wall? From the colorful costumes, Wilson’s sense of humor and the choreographed dance numbers, it’s sure to provide entertainment.

All The Bright Places (Release Date TBA)

Based on the New York Times best seller by Jennifer Niven, the unconventional story of Violet and Finch is beautiful and tragic. It tugs on the heart with a story of young love, but also touches on some subjects that are more sensitive, which will most likely reflect the parental guidance suggestions.The book already has a large following consisting of both fangirls and fanboys that look forward to seeing how accurately Elle Fanning and Justice Smith portray these iconic characters who we love so dearly. We cannot wait to see these characters go off the page and onto the big screen. As always, I suggest reading the book first, but based on these actors’ previous performances, we assume they will do a pretty great job.

Family 

Toy Story 4 (June 21)

I feel like I speak for all of us when I say that Toy Story 3 wrapped up the plastic ragtag team of toy’s journey in a nice, pretty and undeniably tearful bow. So what is likely to happen next to these toys who have been through just about everything? Will Andy star in this film? Is it about the toy’s new adventures with their new kid, Molly? With the addition of a few new characters (hopefully they won’t be evil this time) there is sure to be new toys to love and messes for Woody and Buzz to clean up. 

Frozen 2 (Nov. 22)

As it is with many sequels, we truly do not know how they are going to make another one of these incomparably successful Disney movies, but we are crossing our fingers that they keep up the franchise that captured the hearts of people of all ages. Frozen stood out among other princess storylines by putting strong and driven female characters at the forefront and emphasized familial and specifically sisterly love. We loved that. This time the ragtag team made up of Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven are traveling far from the kingdom of Arendelle to find answers about the home they love. 

A Dog’s Way Home (Jan. 11)

Let’s all just admit that we cried during this trailer, okay? From the same creators of A Dog’s Purpose (the trifecta of cute dog breeds, KJ Apa and Dennis Quaid), this movie is sure to be a tear-jerker. Giving us serious Homeward Bound vibes, this movie is about a dog who ends up far from home and is determined to make it back to her beloved owner. The two have had an unbreakable bond since the boy rescued the tiny pup and a little distance won’t change that. The tail-wagging protagonist, Bella, is voiced by Jurassic Park actress Bryce Dallas Howard. They became fast friends on set.

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (June 7)

The first movie really got us thinking what our pets do when we aren’t around and now the creators of this franchise are taking it a step further. The teaser trailers don’t quite reveal a specific plot line, but we can tell audiences are in for more belly laughs as they reveal the inner thoughts of animals in the vet’s waiting room, a cat’s thought process when not-so-gently waking up their owner, and a child’s bunny who takes on his leadership role at the tea party with honor. It’ll make you curious about what your furry friends are up to when you leave for the day. 

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (Feb. 8)

Chris Pratt’s goofy LEGO character is back at it again. This time his mission is to save his pessimistic best friend, Lucy, from the space aliens that kidnapped her after an attack on their LEGO world. With the addition of a new character who is meant to combine all of Pratt’s previous roles into one hilarious and multi-faceted man, the movie is sure to keep you laughing. There are constantly a million moving parts and a little tree that joins Emmet on his intergalactic adventures. Sounds like Groot to me. This movie is full of action and jokes that will make everybody laugh. 

Disney Live Action

The Lion King (July 19)

As to be expected, the CGI in this movie looks ridiculously cool. I mean, come on, how cute is baby Simba? I think every 90’s/00’s kid is freaking out over this remake. Theaters are likely to be filled with children of all ages, including us college kids. Tears will be shed, lessons will be learned and songs will be sung. Don’t miss out on this one.

Aladdin (May 24)

Disney is really pumping out the live action/CGI remakes of their classics this year. Aladdin is a fan favorite and leaves questions like, “how are they going to do that?” From the Genie to the magic carpet rides, there are high expectations for the creators of this film. The teaser trailer does a good job of not revealing too much, just as all teaser trailers should. However, it does introduce a very ominous Jafar, a handsome Aladdin and a beautifully intricate landscape just the way Disney likes it.

Dumbo (March 29)

From the looks of the trailer, this remake is full of sweet and heartwrenching moments, friendships that beat the odds and of course our favorite elephant that defies all laws of gravity. CGI Dumbo is absolutely adorable! Who knew elephants could have blue eyes? The classic-turned-remake is bound to have many heartbreaking moments that all build up to triumphant heights. Also, the film is being directed by Tim Burton, which means it will definitely have his quirky style. We are excited to see how he portrays this classic story. 

Horror

IT: Chapter 2 (Sept. 6)

The sequel has wrapped filming, but has not released a teaser or trailer yet. The director confirmed that it will be the end of the story and there will not be any more movies to follow. Included in this film are many of the infamous moments from Stephen King’s book that were not seen in the 2017 movie. The story is once again based around the lives of the ragtag team who once thought they defeated Pennywise. Unfortunately, they did not complete their mission and 27 years later they find themselves back in their hometown dealing with the reality of their adult lives and the reality that their old “friend” isn’t actually dead. It’s sure to be scary.

Happy Death Day 2U (Feb. 14)

The first movie could almost be considered a comedy. Although a little creepy, especially for someone who has had their own “on the verge of evil” roommate, the movie starts to be humorous after its Groundhog Day storyline is in motion. This time the plot is eerily similar, but the masked killer is after more than just Jessica Rothe’s character. Now the day keeps repeating for her boyfriend, his best friend and a plethora of other college students at her university. They will have to join together to discover the identity of this new killer and attempt to escape this repeating nightmare for good (we hope).

Pet Sematary (April 5)

An unsuspecting family moves into a new house that backs up to a forest with a lot of secrets (can we just take a second here and realize that this is the start of every horror movie ever?). After the vehicle accident that causes the loss of their beloved pet, the family discovers the haunted cemetery that causes a domino effect of spookiness and danger. Following another tragic incident, the family becomes too interested in the magical powers of the cemetery and cause a disturbance that they are not ready for. This new version of an old classic is sure to scare your socks off.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (Jan. 26)

Perhaps not completely considered a horror movie, Zac Efron stars as the infamous serial killer Ted Bundy in this haunting story of the man behind the murders. The film is from the point of view of Ted’s girlfriend. Efron was cast for his handsome face, since Bundy was said to have lured his victims into dangerous situations with his charm and good looks. We will see how fans and critics alike react to this film in late January at the Sundance Film Festival. To be honest, I don’t think I want to ruin Zac Efron for myself, so I think I’ll sit this one out. You go on ahead though if you’d like.

Enjoy your year of amazing movie releases!

Senior at UGA & an aspiring writer. Entertainment and Media major. I love Jesus, my family, Harry Styles, cozy blankets and getting emotionally attached to tv and movie characters.