lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

More Than Mistletoe: 6 Holiday Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Cuffing season is upon us, and with it comes a host of new date possibilities for you and your December darling. Whether you and your S.O. want to brave the cold or cozy up indoors, this list of date ideas has you covered. Bonus points if you find some mistletoe or stare into their eyes while belting out Mariah Carey’s classic “All I Want for Christmas is You.”

1. Ice skating

Nothing says holiday romance like holding hands and circling around a frozen pond…or indoor ice rink. Ice skating can either be a fun, easy activity or a challenge for the two of you to conquer together. If one of you has more skating skills than the other, just make sure to keep your partner from falling! Plus, it doubles as great exercise!

2. Go to a holiday craft fair

Knock out two birds with one stone and enjoy some festive fun with your S.O. while shopping for gifts for family or friends. You can browse around, enjoy the atmosphere, and maybe even drop some hints about what you want your Santa Baby to put under your tree this year. Sound like a good plan? Athens has two holiday markets coming up, so mark your calendars! Indie South’s Holiday Hooray will be held on December 1-2 and the Big City Bread Holiday Market is on December 13-14.

3. Watch a holiday parade

They say the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear, so why not soak up some carols by attending a Christmas parade? The Athens Parade of Lights is happening downtown on Thursday, December 6th, and it’s a great chance to get into the holiday spirit before finals get too intense. The parade features some spectacular floats and plenty of songs. Try to get a good spot and you can even see the lighting of the giant tree!

4. Drink some fancy (or boozy) hot cocoa

Want to share something sweet with your holiday honey? Move beyond the simple Swiss Miss packet and go for something a little more upscale. Try your own recipe with basic cocoa and your own additions like peppermint or caramel. Or, if you’re feeling friskier (and you are of age), add something a little stronger. Peppermint liqueur, Bailey’s, or Kahlua all make excellent additions to a steaming cup of cocoa. Or, if you’d rather go out, try different spiked and non-alcoholic flavors at Walkers downtown.

5. Build a fort and watch a holiday movie

If it’s too cold to even think about braving the great outdoors, snuggle up and stay inside! But to add a bit of extra holiday magic, build yourselves an epic blanket and pillow fort to be your winter hideaway. Once you’re cozied up inside, pick out a classic holiday film to fill you with winter cheer. Some of our favorites are Elf and The Year Without a Santa Claus. Looking for something a little more contemporary? Try newer Netflix originals like A Christmas Prince or The Holiday Calendar.

6. Go for a drive and enjoy the festive lights

Just because we’re in Georgia with no snow on the ground does not mean we can’t explore a winter wonderland! Pack yourself a snack and a thermos of something warm and buckle up for a drive. You can explore neighborhoods around Athens, check out the display at the Chick Fil A on Atlanta Highway, or enjoy the classic golden lights strung up downtown.

No matter which of these ideas you choose, you’re sure to have your S.O. singing “Let It Snow” in no time. Have a great holiday season, UGA!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.