This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Timeless legend.

Just two words to describe Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliot, and yet it’s not enough. With over two decades in the game, Elliot’s influence hasn’t wavered. From her inventive productions, energized dancing, iconic fashion and punchy rap lyrics, she has paved the way for a generation of artists. Her impact in the hip-hop community can’t be ignored as a five-time Grammy Award-winner with over 30 million albums sold. She’s the first female rapper to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, an accolade that pays due to her other talents. 

Her eccentric visuals broke barriers for what a quintessential music video is supposed to look like. Her videos are iconic in every sense from live bees in her “Work It” video to actually being submerged in water in “She’s a B—h”. Across the screen of her videos were dancers of all ages and sizes. Her contribution to the dancing community undoubtedly brought the limelight to people who might have been perceived as backdrops rather than the main affair. 

The iconic videos that relied on her daring fashion, such as the famous inflated trash bag, also paid homage to an art of expression that she has continued to treasure. Elliot was awarded the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award on Aug. 26 at the MTV Video Music Awards that celebrated her legacy in video and music. After performing a medley of hits such as “Lose Control,” “Get Ur Freak On” and “Work It”—where Alyson Stoner made an appearance—Elliot dedicated her award to the dancing community. She also dedicated the award to Aaliyah, the late “Princess of R&B”. Elliot helped write and produce songs for the singer along with, fellow friend and producer, Timbaland. Aaliyah is just one artist among many that Elliot has collabed with including Lil’ Kim, Beyoncé, Ciara, Janet Jackson, Ariana Grande and Lizzo to name a few. 

Elliot’s unapologetic approach to her music and her ability to create art that stays relevant—while also staying true—is why she’s stood the test of time. Commonly named as one of the top female rappers and innovators in hip-hop, her rank on these lists should take into account her challenge on what femininity is and how a female rapper should market herself. With sensual lyrics that boast of female prowess and body positivity, she has imparted a heap of confidence in girls and women around the world. Elliot’s music, fashion and moves have made her hometown of Virginia proud, as well as the world. 

“Misdemeanors in da house.” And she’s here to stay. 

third year journalism major with a minor in communications and certificate in new media. I make the best music playlists (@longlivelaura on apple music) and am usually the go-to person you hand the aux-cord to or allow on bluetooth in the car. YA and NA romance books are my kryptonite. I love to write fiction and aspire to have my own novel series published one day. I also rep Nigeria and Atlanta heavily, appreciative of the different aspects of culture both places endue upon me.