Mastering the Buses: Her Campus UGA’s Guide to Athens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

UGA’s Campus Transit runs 39 buses on 9 weekday routes making it the second most complex bus system in the state of Georgia after MARTA in Atlanta, so it can be tricky to navigate when you first arrive. Soon enough, however, the buses will become your best friend when you’re trying to get form Tate to ECV in under fifteen minutes. Here are some Dos and Don’ts for mastering the buses.

Do
Ride the buses just to see where they go during your first week on campus. This will help you become familiar with the different routes. This will prevent you from becoming lost and confused when classes finally start.

Get to the bus stop at least 10 minutes before you need to get to class. Although the buses come pretty frequently, they can also be unpredictable and you’re better safe than sorry.

Be courteous of other riders. When you’re on a crowded bus, personal space is nonexistent so when you accidentally fall into someone’s lap as the driver makes a sharp turn just apologize and laugh it off. If you are the someone that person just fell into, don’t get offended, she couldn’t help it!

Don’t
Be embarrassed to carry around a bus map or ask the driver where their bus goes during the first few weeks of school — we were all lost and confused freshman once upon a time too.

Try to take a bus from Tate in between classes unless you‘re prepared for a stampede. This feat should only be attempted by advanced bus riders.

Take up an extra seat with your backpack or stand in the middle of the aisle on a crowded bus. You will get dagger eyes from every other passenger.

With these tips you will be riding the UGA buses like a pro in no time!

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.