Male Delivery: How do I get out of the friendzone?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Dear Male Delivery,

When do you/how do you know when you are out of the “friendzone”? What are some indicators, like in terms of body language, texting/phone calls, etc.?

Ah, the friendzone. For the longest time, I thought this sort of relationship limbo was only for guys who go to slavishly listen to all of the girl’s “guy” problems while she constantly misses how much he “cares” for her. Many guys have been there, including the one writing this article, and it is miserable. Day in and day out you always imagine only possibilities, and only possibilities, of a delusional world that only happens in the movie “When Harry Met Sally.”

All that being said, I’ve never thought that guys could friendzone girls. But, apparently it happens.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the transition from friendzone to relationship is a lot easier for girls than for guys. As far as the “when” of the situation, if he thinks y’all are just friends and you are in the so-called “friendzone,” there will be no “when.” Unless you make some sort of move, you will always be “just a friend.”

So, now what? Make a move of course. But move with caution. Understand that there is a very big chance that it won’t work, but hey, life goes on. If he is a good friend, you will remain so, even if he’s not into you. And if it works out, congratulations, you moved out of a horrible purgatory that many are suffering under.

Indicators? He’s a guy. There are not many “indicators.” That is why you address him directly. Also, if you are trying to make “indicators” for him, he will definitely miss it because, let’s be honest, he’s a guy, and 90% of the time we are wrong according to you girls (no offense).

Sincerely,

Your RCLG

Have a question for me? Shoot me an email here!