This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Lana del Rey, a controversial figure in music throughout her career, released her fifth studio album on Aug. 30, titled Norman F—— Rockwell. Since her launch to stardom in 2012, del Rey has been known for her ‘sad girl’ music. Mostly concerned with the pitfalls of love and relationships, her first four albums were definitively different than the latest. NFR is more of a critique on modern American culture than anything else, still appearing under the guise of hopeless love songs.

Since the release of Born to Die, I have been a staunch and loyal LDR fan. I have followed her career through its highs and lows. I genuinely believe that this album is the strongest since 2014’s Ultraviolence and revitalized her career in a much-needed way. Lana has always been subject to heavy criticism due to her artistic eccentricities, seemingly outdated lyrics about love (listen to “The Other Woman”), and borrowed aesthetics. Despite her critics, she has maintained her persona and strong fan base, refusing to change herself to fit into the music industry’s mold. Many argue that her aesthetic is an overdone shtick, but it is, in fact, an authentic style. That being said, del Rey was in need of a game changer. Her career needed something to refresh it. NFR did just that. Its profane, cultural allusion of a title was the first to suggest the uniqueness of this album. Within the first minute of the opening track, titled the same as the album, it becomes clear that Lana had created a work of art.

The album serves to provide commentary on modern American culture and politics, while lamenting that which has been lost. While it is not an overtly political statement, there are undertones within the lyrics to suggest del Rey’s opinions. It makes sense then, that the album is named after another artist known for critiquing American life. Beyond these aspects, the music still maintains Lana’s signature style and references to love. Through this album, her career and style have evolved, to the relief of many fans who worried she would remain stagnant. Norman F—– Rockwell is a masterpiece that this Lana del Rey fanatic would recommend to anyone. Lana does not just make sad girl music anymore.

Emma Farrell is a first year student double- majoring in journalism and international affairs. She loves to write about art, music, and current events.