The Kardashians: America’s (Worst) Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

You may have seen the latest outrage surrounding the ever-controversial Kardashian family, but in case you haven’t, let me give you the low-down. Kim, Kourtney, Khloe, Kylie, Kendall and Kris are prominently featured on the cover of this month’s Cosmopolitan Magazine. However, it’s not the picture that led the media into a frenzy, but more so the three words that accompany it: “America’s First Family.”

That’s right, the people known for silicone injections, self-obsession and undeserved fame are apparently the most distinguished family in America, according to Cosmo (and if that doesn’t make you want to evacuate the country, I don’t know what will).  What makes this headlining story even better, though, is the media backlash that it has received.  People took to Twitter to express their outrage, and it was exactly how you’d expect.

First there was anger and outrage…

@JoannaColes Did you really think that Kardashian First Family cover was a brilliant idea? REALLY?? No one in all of Cosmo said NO???

— Whitley Gilbert✈ (@KSherrieCo) October 5, 2015

This is why I don’t have respect for @Cosmopolitan This plastic wrapped trash is not America’s first family. pic.twitter.com/pUGfYbPidp

— Meredith (@QueenOfSangria) October 10, 2015

NOBODY at @Cosmopolitan was like “hey you guys. Let’s NOT call the Kardashians America’s First Family. Because: Obamas.” Nobody? Bueller??

— Awesomely Luvvie (@Luvvie) October 5, 2015

Cosmo called the Kardashians “America’s First Family.” Burn it all down. Start over.

— Michael Arceneaux (@youngsinick) October 5, 2015

Then reaction images to get the point across…

My reaction to The Kardashian’s being called “America’s First Family” by @Cosmopolitan pic.twitter.com/xpCLVLJOKd

— Bryan (@Bryan4King) October 5, 2015

@Cosmopolitan “America’s First Family” pic.twitter.com/1cgUZWIepx

— Tiger Lily (@WoodlandDreams) October 5, 2015

@Cosmopolitan pic.twitter.com/j04NwN8QEp

— Maggy (@Maggyw519) October 5, 2015

Me as I watch @Cosmopolitan get dragged for calling the Kardashians “America’s First Family.” pic.twitter.com/4dTKJOE1r2

— Victoria J. (@thecapitalv) October 5, 2015

And then pure hilarity, because we all need a good laugh during these troubled times of Kardashain fame…

@Cosmopolitan I fixed your cover for you! No need to thank me. #AmericasFirstFamily #FixedIt pic.twitter.com/ANduFEAeYQ

— Katy Petty (@iamnotablogger) October 5, 2015

People already started destroying Cosmopolitan’s Wikipedia page. #AmericasFirstFamily pic.twitter.com/J4PlHSx77j

— Bryan (@Bryan4King) October 5, 2015

It’s times like these that we need to thank social media for saying exactly what we’ve been thinking

Thumbnail from E! Online.