John Roche: Creativity Behind The Lens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

John Roche’s unique videography skills and passion for storytelling make him this week’s Campus Profile!

John began filming at an early age in his hometown of Alpharetta, Georgia. “Ever since I could hold a camera I’ve been making stuff! So, by the age of about 8 I began playing with cameras, and then at 13 I won my middle school’s Reflection competition on the state level for video,” John recalls, “I produced a video called Jack Fanny, that was a Jackass rip-off of me and the neighborhood guys getting weird, falling down hills, electrocuting each other, and eating horribly spicy things. The neighborhood kids weren’t allowed to hang out with me after that.”

Since then, he has continued filming, pulling inspiration from “the creativity that we all have wanting a voice. Some create with numbers, or paint brushes, or pens. But seeing as numbers and I do not get along, and I have 0 talent with a brush in my hand, I picked up a camera.” He’s influenced by “all the great directors, auteurs, that have lived and died with film in their hearts… From Spielberg to Jean-Luc Godard,” and claims to “gravitate towards… the weird stuff.”

His voice is clear when watching his many films, with every plot centered on out-of-the-box themes, and each one completely different from the one before. His dark-yet-quirky style shines though in each project, creating a unique angle to every film, whether it centers around social issues or even just wacky scenarios.

John’s favorite project so far is a short film he directed titled She. “It speaks to the time we’re living in, and keeps it fun throughout,” he explains. She was recognized at the Bald Shorts Film Festival, winning the “Best Bald Shot (Cinematography),” and creates a dialogue for our generation. The ending is one you certainly would not expect, but it leaves you pondering the current state of our world, analyzing tolerance of each other and acceptance of ourselves.

His love of film takes many forms. “There are so many cool jobs on a film set, and I think it would be a real shame to not explore a good many of them,” he continues, “Each part is interrelated, and therefore it’s vital that you understand how each cog in the machine fuels the engine. So, yes, I’ve acted and directed and produced and held a boom mic and even fetched coffee. However, I prefer to be the man behind the camera, acting holds a close second.”

Regardless of his extensive work in the film industry, his post-grad plans are parallel to just about every college student. “Like many a young folk, I am still unsure of my future after college. Though I am positive it will be in the film industry. Over summer I worked freelance and I now know I could support myself, barely, doing that. But I think right now I’m banking on the connections I make, and the experience I am soaking up doing freelance to land myself a job directing… something.”

Though he’s unsure of his future after college, he manages to keep himself busy now. John is a current full-time student, but is always working on projects. “As of November I will have completed a music video, edited a short film I did the cinematography for, and finalized a video for University of Alabama’s hospital,” he explains of his most recent work. However, he is currently bringing his talents to Athens, focussing on passion projects around the city. “I’m working with a local writer on a script we hope to shoot in the spring, and I’m currently working for MyAthens on creative projects that personify Athens.”

When asked what advice he would give to someone who is interested in pursuing videography, his answer was simple: “Just start.” He further explains, “If you have a phone, then you have a camera. Practice. Watch great movies, figure out what makes them so pleasurable. Watch the absolute shite movies, understand why they hurt your eyeballs. Like most things, apart from my ex-girlfriend, if you love it enough it’ll end up loving you back. It’s an extremely tough, dog-eat-dog industry. But the reward is unparalleled.”

Check out John’s short film, She, below!