alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

I Tried It: Bamboo Toothbrushes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Let me start this by saying I have an Amazon addiction. If I find something interesting or trendy on Amazon, chances are that I will buy it. I recently bought Bamboozled’s 8-pack of bamboo toothbrushes (supposed to last for a family, or over a year for a single person). Bamboozled reports, “1 billion plastic toothbrushes are disposed of every year in the U.S., producing 50,000,000 pounds of waste [in landfills and oceans].” The Giving Brush blog notes increased pollution, battery leakage from electric toothbrush disposal and drainage of the oil supply because of its use in plastic toothbrushes. Bamboo toothbrushes are a healthy, eco-friendly alternative to the plastic staples because they can biodegrade when recycled overtime. Bamboo toothbrushes are naturally antimicrobial as well and consist of sustainably harvested bamboo, so there is no pollution when they decay, unlike traditional toothbrushes! They are sold in a variety of styles (like nylon versus charcoal bristles), in a variety of packaging and in various amounts.

As I said, there are so many kinds of bamboo toothbrushes quickly becoming staples on the market including Mother’s Vault, WowE Lifestyle, bmbu, woobamboo!, Brush With Bamboo, hello, Juvale and many others. But I would like to talk about the brand I got that was a much cheaper alternative to the rest on Amazon: Bamboozled. Bamboozled promotes healthier gums, fresher breath, whiter teeth and less landfill waste. On their Facebook, they mention charcoal-infused, BPA-free nylon bristles (active whitening agent and soft/medium types), a soft grip, an olive oil-infused handle, premium, sustainable bamboo and numbers on the brushes to keep you on track. They are the only brand to use both bamboo fiber and charcoal. Bamboozled also requires the same maintenance as plastic toothbrushes, so their product is super easy to use! 

Pros

The handle is very sturdy and easy to hold. The bristles are actually super soft and form around your teeth and mouth (if that makes any sense—I do not know the dental term) much better than any regular toothbrush does. The charcoal is a nice touch to help with teeth whitening and cavity prevention. I also loved the packaging! The box and all of its contents was entirely recyclable; the toothbrushes themselves were also numbered and wrapped in special eco-friendly boxes. Plus, they came in an 8-pack which is of great value and in larger quantity than I saw anywhere else on Amazon. And again, you’re helping the environment, so why not?

Cons

Frankly, there aren’t many. Like I said, you have to get used to them. You can tell the difference. The bristles can be scratchy at the first attempt, but that is easily adaptable. They do feel much better than traditional toothbrushes. Bamboo toothbrushes also can accumulate several white stains and warping (particularly on the handle) due to excess water and toothpaste, so be careful about how much you use. Also, they are more expensive than traditional toothbrushes, but again, that’s for a reason. Having eco-friendly bamboo rather than plastic is naturally going to increase prices.

Results

But, what was my verdict? I actually really do like the toothbrushes. I give them an 8/10. They are something to get used to, but they are so functional, and as an added bonus, great for the environment! 

Overall, I really like the toothbrushes and would purchase again. They felt great on my teeth and are great for the environment! I even gave one to my mom to try! You can find Bamboozled and similar brushes on Amazon for $14.95, or on their Facebook.

Photo 2 courtesy of author.

UGA '22. Entertainment Media Studies major with a Theatre Studies Minor and a New Media Certificate (wants to be a television writer or a producer of digital content promoting kindness). Just your average, kinda awkward, 40 year old Jewish mom in a 19 year old's body who loves coffee, bagels, television, and late nights on Amazon. Check here for random writing thoughts!