How to Stick to Your Resolutions as Told by Elle Woods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Legally Blonde is a classic movie, and Elle Woods is an icon! Each time we watch the movie, we all learn more lessons and keep relating to her. One thing we do each year, aside from watching the movie, is make New Year’s resolutions. How many of us actually stick to our resolutions past the first of January? If Elle Woods can graduate law school and find herself, then we can learn from her and stick to our resolutions in 2020!

Going to the Gym is Good

How many of us make the resolution right before the ball drops on New Year that we will go to the gym, eat right, and lose weight? The gym gets crowded after New Year’s and then by February, the gym is filled with only the regulars, and we all go back to our normal routines until the next year comes around to make the same resolution. We get stressed every semester and finding time to work out regularly could relieve us of the stress and also allow us to follow up on our resolutions. Remember, endorphins make you happy. Don’t you want to be happy?

Manifest Your Future

This year, try to practice manifestation. Elle Woods wanted to establish herself as a qualified legal student. She knew this was a different position for her since she majored in fashion merchandising previously, but she went out of her comfort zone and faked it until she made it. Even though she hadn’t taken legal classes yet and probably didn’t understand the scope of every word she used, she knew she would understand it at some point and started envisioning her life as if she were already at Harvard. This year, a lot of us are about to start internships or full-time jobs or graduate, and it is scary because we have never been full adults yet. Follow Elle Woods’ lead and fake it until you make it. Show interviewers or doubters that you deserve the life you are dreaming of and you are the right person to handle the job. As long as you aren’t lying about your qualifications or doing anything illegal, some extra confidence can show people that even though you don’t know something now, it doesn’t mean you can’t learn and master it soon. “Talk the Talk” while you “Walk the Walk,” and no one can stop you.

Be Comfortable Being Yourself

We are leaving any fake personalities, friends, or images in 2019. This is your only life to live, and you have to live for yourself. Elle Woods was very confident before Harvard, but when she was in an environment where everyone seemed to be more cut out for law school, it was hard to hold on to her true self and do the right thing. We may not know it, but we sometimes wear masks that hide our true selves to fit in or please someone else. The longer you hide yourself the harder it is to find yourself again because you can have trouble distinguishing which mask is your actual face. Deep down, you know what your morals, hopes, and dreams are. This is your year to get what you want, despite the ones that stand in your way.

Organize Your Life

Whether you are a natural-born planner or someone who just goes with the flow, the semester can sometimes cause you to become unorganized. From many exams, due dates, interviews, and everything in between, the dates blend. Don’t let yourself be buried under the mess, and set aside a time at least once a week where you can sit down, gather your thoughts, and plan the upcoming week. This will dramatically decrease your stress because you will have a clear view of what needs to be done and when. From that point, you can devise a plan to conquer whatever challenges you face and get the job done. 

Believe in Yourself

Although people are willing to stick by you, study with you, and support you, your success is ultimately up to you. Only you can push yourself to do what you aspire to do and be who you want to be. There will be people cheering you on and always people who want to see you fail, but the only one who you can count on is yourself. As long as you are secure in your abilities and know that if you put your mind to it, the naysayers have no power over you. 

In 2020, many of you may face some challenges and will run into people who will try and stop you from achieving your goals. This year can set the tone for the decade as we are all growing in our own ways. Although Legally Blonde was released almost 19 years ago, the lessons Elle Woods teaches us can be applied in 2020 to help you achieve your goals!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.