How to Find the Right Organization for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As the third week of school approaches and we settle into classes, collegiettes begin to wonder how to take the principles taught in the SLC to the streets of Athens. How can we gain practical application and experience in a school that has more students than most towns have people?

Clubs.

At UGA, we have over 700 student organizations that provide us with an opportunity to gain valuable leadership and management experience, all while having fun. Finding the right club, however, can be a little tricky. Here are some tips to finding the right club for you!

1. Attend the activities fair. The Activities fair is like window-shopping for clubs! Over 700 clubs convene in one location, just for you! Stop by Tate Plaza on August 28 from 10-3 to sample clubs. (Hint: Stop by the Her Campus UGA table!)
  2. Attend a meeting. While helpful, the activities fair can be daunting. Try attending a club meeting for a more intimate experience. You can gain in depth information about a club and talk to members in an informal, calm setting.
  3. Talk to collegiettes. As the saying goes, it takes a village­; and it takes a group of collegiettes to run a club. Chances are you may know one! Chat up collegiettes in your classes to find out about a club. They can offer insights and experiences with a club that they may not mention at the student center. So ask your sorority sister or that hottie in history about a club that interests you!
  4. Check out the CSO website. The Center for Student Organizations (CSO) is a great resource for researching clubs. CSO’s website categorizes clubs alphabetically and by interests. Got a knack for knitting or an affinity for art? Chances are CSO has them listed. CSO’s site lists club websites, emails, and contact information, so you have no excuses to get involved!
  5. Stop By! At a school that offers over 700 organizations, it can be hard to make every meeting or activities fair. Stop by a club’s office. CSO houses numerous organization offices in Tate, and posts the office hours for every group. Chances are you’ll find a club member hanging out who would love to talk to you!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter