Here’s What You Need To Know About The Georgia Secretary of State Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

On November 6, 2018, the nation collectively went out and voted. In Georgia, most citizens vastly recognized the names Stacey Abrams and Brian Kemp. In fact, to some (me included) they were two of the few names I did identify. Since then, I have vowed to become more politically motivated and knowledgeable about who I am voting for. I want to do the same for you, by helping you know the candidates for Secretary of State and Public Service Commissioner because the runoff election is on December 4, 2018.

First and foremost, what are these positions? What does the person elected do? The Secretary of State is an elected official that serves as the keeper of the Great Seal of Georgia and the custodian of the state flag amongst other ceremonial items. These are the least important of their jobs as they also: chair the Claims Advisory Board, supervise elections and give campaign finance disclosure, preserve public records, provide educational programs about the capitol, licensing monitoring, and registering professionals and businesses.

Now here are our candidates for Secretary of State:

Brad Raffensperger (R)

Endorsed by Trump himself, this candidate has been a member of the Georgia House of Representatives as a delegate for District 50 for three years. He has a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Western University and an M.B.A. from Georgia State. Raffensperger uses his background as a business owner to accentuate his ability to become a great secretary of state.  He is a supporter of replacing the income tax with a consumption tax. Provided in the link on Raffensperger’s name is a political summary of what he has done so far, because as you know–actions are louder than words. He has voted “Yea” on the passage of many things on separate ends of the spectrum including: authorizing concealed carry of firearms at institutions of higher education and requiring coverage for terminal conditions.

John Barrow (D)

Endorsed by Stacey Abrams, Barrow was previously a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and represented Georgia’s 12th Congressional District. John received a degree in political science and history from the University of Georgia and a J.D. from Harvard Law. In Barrow’s key messages he discussed that protecting voting rights would be his priority as Secretary of State; he also claims to have worked to prevent tax increases, support health care access, and work with former presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama to ensure the opening of a new Veteran’s Affairs clinic. Provided is a list of his voting records.

Remember to vote with whoever you feel comfortable with, in the end it’s your choice. Happy Voting everyone!

Attending freshman at the University of Georgia. Majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.