Here’s What Was on My 2023 Spotify Wrapped

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Every year, Spotify releases a recap of all the music their users listened to throughout the year called Spotify Wrapped. It tells people their top five genres, top five artists, and top five songs, along with how many minutes of music they listened to over the year. It also makes them a personalized playlist listing the 100 songs they streamed the most. I love getting my Wrapped stats, so here’s a summary of what landed on my list this year.

Top Five Genres

My top five genres this year in order were:

1. Pop
  2. Rap
  3. Alternative R&B
  4. Movie Tunes
  5. Pov: Indie

The list didn’t surprise me, and it’s pretty much what I figured it would be. However, I did wonder what they meant by “Pov: Indie,” so I searched it and it listed artists like Phoebe Bridgers, Mitski, and Mac DeMarco. I consider myself to have a very versatile music taste and I think this is a pretty good reflection of that.

Top Five artists

My top five artists this year in order were:

1. Ariana Grande
  2. Megan Thee Stallion
  3. SZA
  4. Frank Ocean
  5. Beyoncé

This was a bit of a shock because I thought Paramore might make it on here. I saw them in concert this year and they’re my favorite band. Other than that, I do feel like I listened to these five artists a lot. I made it into the top 0.1% of Ariana’s top listeners and I spent 4,013 minutes listening to her. This is maybe the third or fourth year in a row that she’s been my number one (she was the one to break One Direction’s reigning streak).

Top Five songs

My top five songs this year in order were:

1) “We Might Even Be Falling In Love (Interlude)” – Victoria Monét (I listened to this one 71 times)

2) “everytime” – Ariana Grande

3) “Prom” – SZA

4) “Pink + White” – Frank Ocean

5) “Cool People” – Chloe x Halle

This whole list was a shocker. I knew I listened to these songs a lot, but I felt like I listened to other songs more (“XO” by Beyoncé and “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None The Richer, and “Adam’s Ribs” by Jensen McRae were on a pretty heavy rotation).

Minutes listened

Overall, for 2023, I listened to 46,792 minutes of music. Spotify said it’s equivalent to 32 days nonstop and that I’m in the top 6% of listeners worldwide. They also said the day I listened to the most music was October 4th at 450 minutes.

The tarot card they assigned me was “Alchemist” which means I’m always creating playlists (which is true), and they also said that my music taste closely aligns with people who live in Berkeley, California. I wish they could show us which of our playlists we listen to the most though, and our minutes and most listened to song from each top artist instead of just our number one. With that being said, I’m excited for the clean slate we’ll get in January and for all the new music that will sneak its way into my stats.

Gabby Floyd is a fourth year Special Education major at UGA. She loves social justice, Olive Garden breadsticks, and Spider-Man movies. In her free time, she's usually reading, binge watching Glee, or making niche Spotify playlists.