Guns and You: A UGA Guide to House Bill 29

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

ATHENS, Ga.—Georgia House of Representatives passed a legislation March 22 that would make it legal for firearms to be allowed in public buildings such as college and university campuses.  

This bill currently sits in the House’s Public Safety and Homeland Security committee and is being withheld until year 2014. If made legal, Georgia will be the sixth state in the United States to allow guns on college campuses. Following Kansas, Georgia became the second state to consent to guns being carried in public places. HB 29 does not contain specific information as to what types of guns are allowed or what increased protection would be enforced for non-students; those are issues that institutions could only answer. Her Campus UGA compiled list that contains some of the most important inquiries and answers of student concerns if the bill becomes law.

1. What exactly is the HB 29: Campus Carry Act of 2013 and if passed by the Senate what all will be taking into effect?
    1. The HB 29 is a pro-gun bill that would lift the restriction on Georgia’s current ban on firearms making guns allowed in public buildings and on college campuses. In summary public or private colleges, universities, technical and vocational schools (postsecondary institutions) will no longer be listed as places that concealed weapons cannot be carried.
  2. Is this Campus Carry Act similar to the Safe Carry Protection Act, or HB 512 that I’ve read about? If not, what is different?
    1. Yes it is similar on the understanding that the HB 512 and 29 will make it legal for license holders to carry a firearm at public places; HB 29 is primarily focused on postsecondary institutions. Whereas HB 512, filed by Rep. Rick Jasperse  is to amend Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of O.C.G.A. that will approve unauthorized locations to carry weapons such as college campuses, places of worship, and bars; also eliminating the need for fingerprints for a renewal of a Georgia Weapons License at a glance.
  3. What are supporters of the HB 29 saying?
    1. The HB 29 is one of the bills (26-29) pre-filed by Rep. Charles Gregory (R-Kennesaw) back in Dec. 2012 and is sponsored by eight other members of the General Assembly. Gregory hopes to dispel rumors about this bill on his website by reminding the public that schools are not forced to implement this law on their campus. Organizations like the Georgia division of Students for Concealed Carry, agree this bill will make campuses a safer place.
  4. What is UGA’s current gun policy?
    1. The University of Georgia is classified as a school safety zone and according to it’s weapon policy, it is illegal to carry any explosive compounds or weapons on property owned by the university. Read more about the policy under O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1, as well as the UGA’s Weapon Policy Memo.
  5. Who specifically is allowed to carry a concealed firearm on them around campus?
    1. If passed, law requires all Georgia firearm license carriers to be 21 years old and passed a criminal background check. Only then will individuals who have a Georgia firearms license be allowed to carry a weapon. Also, anyone preparing to obtain a license is required to be clear of any felonies.
  6. Can my professor carry a gun?
    1. According to the Huffington Post, parents and students will be unaware of which administrators are armed; but Rep. Paul Battles (R-Cartersville), his HB 35 is the only legislation that proposes only school administrators to carry weapons on the premises.
  7. I’m a professor; can my students come into my classroom with a concealed weapon?
    1. According to HB 29, students are not excluded from carrying a concealed weapon.
  8. I have a Georgia firearm license, can I bring my gun on campus and if so where?
    1. Areas where guns are limited to, include dining halls and classrooms; however residence halls, athletic events and all Greek sorority and fraternity housing are restricted.
  9. What are Georgia college and university presidents saying about this?
    1. There is an open letter with over 350 signatures on college and university presidents across the country opposing guns allowed on college campuses—the University President Michael Adams signature is not there. Where you can find President Adams’ opposition along with 30 other presidents of colleges and universities, Board of Regents, and the Institutional Leadership of the University System of Georgia is in a statement released by the University System of Georgia expressing their “unanimous recommendation is to retain the law in its current form.”
  10. How are critics towards this bill confronting it?
    1. Critics toward this bill are already standing firm on making it legal for college campuses to include guns in an environment where alcohol, sex, drugs, and partying are the atmosphere. Those strongly opposed to this bill also disagree with the HB 512. During a floor debate on HB 512 Rep. Scott Holcomb stated, “There is no way of knowing if more lives would be saved” and “Licensed law abiding citizens become murders.” Chet Tony of Georgia Independent College Association offered the point that language in the bill be included so institutions could ratify what would be acceptable behavior on their private property of gun carriers. Tony suggested during the Public Safety and Homeland Security debate that the Georgia House of Representatives “move cautiously” and the current campus gun law has protected student, faculty and visitors for decades.

Born in Savannah, Ga., Kayla is a third-year Journalism student at the University in Georgia.