This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The comedic mystery Game Night was recently released and has received rave reviews. The film currently has an 82% on Rotten Tomatoes and takes an auteur-like, horror approach to the typically sitcom style comedic narrative. Game Night was written by Mark Perez, and was dually directed by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, who happen to be the writers of the newest Spider-Man Homecoming installment and the Horrible Bosses films. The duo’s feature length directorial debut was the 2015 Vacation remake.  

The film stars Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams as an extremely competitive married couple who are looking to start a family but are weary of the fun times they will miss with the reasonability of a family. Bateman plays his signature snarky character, with McAdams as his quirky wife. Their weekly game night is interrupted with some serious sibling rivalry, creepy neighbors and a series of important lies. Kyle Chandler, Sharon Horgan, Billy Magnussen (Ingrid Goes West, Into The Woods), Lamorne Morris (New Girl), Kylie Bunbury, Jesse Plemons and Chelsea Peretti (Brooklyn 99) all round out the hilarious and star-studded cast.

Seamless editing, essential insert shots and proper comedic timing all elevate the film. Further, the thriller aspects of the film and the several twists and turns make for an overall exciting show. According to Variety, Perez was inspired by Jordan Peele’s Oscar winning screenplay for Get Out; “You’re not sure if ‘Get Out’ is a horror movie, and we kind of leaned into that. We’re doing a comedy with a murder thrown in. I think audiences are a little tired of regular comedies and want more these days.” Finally, the films poignant comedy, diverse cast and meta self-awareness combine for a funny finished product.

Thumbnail Image

Sam is getting her degree in Film Studies at UGA. She hopes to continue writing entertainment reviews and comedy nonsense after graduation. She's always got a latte in hand and can be seen practicing handstands all around campus.