5 Syrups to Make at Home to Avoid Giving Starbucks All Your Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As convenient and delicious as Starbucks is, let’s face it—it’s expensive! A grande drink is $4.10 at most Starbucks locations, and that’s not including any substitutions, additions, or tips (and you should be tipping). A modest estimate of one drink a week, with an average of $5 per drink, will put you at $260 a year or $80 a semester. Now, you may realize that $80 is not a terribly large amount, if you stick to $5/week and the convenience makes the cost worthwhile.

However, for those of us who prefer more drinks (or more expensive drinks), the costs can quickly add up. Having syrups at home can be a way to prevent yourself from spending precious dollars at the nearest coffeeshop, and are also available 24/7. In my opinion, these recipes taste better than the artificial flavor-imbued high fructose corn syrups you can buy at grocery stores. If you’re on a budget, or if you’d like to improve your home coffee bar, give one of these syrups a shot (yes, that was a pun).

Apple Cinnamon Syrup

This is by far my favorite syrup ever. No flavor from Starbucks has been better than this syrup, and I don’t normally even like apples.

1. Wash and peel three green apples (AKA Granny Smith).
  2. Boil the peels in 2 cups water with 2 cups brown sugar and as many cinnamon sticks as you dare (I used 7)
  3. Once the mixture boils, let it simmer until half of it is gone (this is called “reducing by half”)
  4. Strain it into bottles. You can also eat the candied peels.
  5. If you don’t plan to use it all within 2 weeks, refrigerate it

cookie dough syrup

1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan, and let it brown *slightly* (don’t let it burn!)
  2. Add 1 cup sugar and whisk it into the toasted butter until it’s combined
  3. Pour in 1 cup of water, whisk, add 1 tablespoon vanilla (and 1 teaspoon almond extract if you have it)
  4. Put back on the heat, and once the mixture boils, let it simmer and reduce by half
  5. Strain it into bottles and keep for up to 2 weeks (if you keep it longer, refrigerate it)

chocolate syrup

1. In a cup, whisk 1 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  2. Pour just a little more than 1/4 cup boiling water into the mixture
  3. Mix vigorously (preferably with a hand mixer) until it’s smooth
  4. It will thicken more when it cools, so don’t worry if it looks too thin
  5. Keep in the refrigerator. You can also use this to make chocolate milk or on ice cream! Add instant coffee crystals to the blend to make it a mocha syrup to use outside of coffee.

gingerbread syrup

1. Mix your spices in a saucepan. There are a lot: 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 tablespoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground clove, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (don’t be scared of the pepper!)
  2. Whisk with 1.5 cups water and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
  3. Bring to a boil, simmer and reduce by half.
  4. This syrup is a little strong, so don’t overdo it with this one! Keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks

pumpkin spice syrup

This one is close to the heart of many. I found that you need a fine sieve, or else you will get dregs of pumpkin puree in the bottom of your mug.

1. Mix 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup pumpkin puree in a bowl (with the rest of the puree from the can, make pumpkin muffins, oatmeal, or pancakes!)
  2. Add 3/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (if you don’t have this, use 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ginger. If you have nutmeg, use this as well)
  3. Whisk it well, pour into a pot or saucepan
  4. Bring to a boil, and simmer until reduced by half (it will look a little glossy, or almost oily)
  5. Strain it well, funnel into a bottle, and enjoy! Like always, refrigerate up to 2 weeks

To mix the syrups in your coffee, I like to fill the bottom of a mug with syrup (about 2 spoonfuls), and then brew the coffee right in the mug. If you feel fancy, foam some milk and add that in, too. They also make great iced coffees (add syrup, then milk, then ice, then espresso).

My personal choice is a chai, and unfortunately I don’t have a recipe for a chai syrup, as chai is a tea. If you want an easy chai, you can brew it from bags yourself, use chai concentrate from a carton, or buy instant chai powder. All of these options can still be relatively cheap and healthy.

Now you’re all set to go experiment in the kitchen! Go have fun, enjoy the few bucks saved every time you choose to brew at home, and have your favorite syrups at your disposal even when the Starbucks is closed.

Kimba is a Junior Psychology major who honestly prefers to write than conduct research. She loves to analyze and laugh, and always orders queso to go. In her spare time, she plays cozy games, reads, rock climbs, and bothers her cats. If you have any unpopular opinion, she is ready to talk about it. Recommended Jittery Joe's drink: Spiced Dirty Chai with Oatmilk