Finals Fashionista: Looking Stylish on Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Finals. The absolute worst time of the year. You’re studying, you’re breaking out, you’re running on adrenaline and caffeine. What’s the worst part? You’re undoubtedly too exhausted to contemplate a cute outfit because cramming for calculus has caused you to start seeing limits everywhere.

Believe it or not, there are a few chic and comfortable pieces you can throw on before class to make your exams more bearable. Because if you’re anything like me, your exam outfit is just as an important ritual as a good breakfast or flashcards. Call it the psychology of chic.

Here are a few of my tips for looking fabulous during finals:

1. Dress for success

Dresses are an asset during finals week. If you find yourself moving slow in the morning after a late night of studying, there is nothing more convenient than quickly throwing on a dress and heading out the door. The morning of a final needs to be as stress-free as possible, and you’ll be glad you got the extra 15 minutes you might’ve spent searching for coordinating separates to study or eat a good breakfast. There’s only one caveat: fabric, fabric, fabric. Be sure to avoid most wools, as they are typically itchy; Take a cue from Zooey Deschanel and opt for cotton as the fabric of your life this week!

2. Lovely Layers

Layering is the key to any finals week look. Unless you’re lucky enough to live in Florida or Hawaii, chances are finals and cold are synonymous. That being said, the rooms in most buildings are often extra-steamy to combat the winter weather, so you will need to dress for both temperature extremes. Make your base shirt short-sleeved, with a graphic print or embellishments. Then layer a long-sleeved cardigan over it. Top your inner layers off with a coat of your choice, and you’ll be prepared for the weather both inside and out.

3. Hooray for Berets

Hats are totally underrated during finals. They can be a huge asset in combating less than glamorous finals week hair, and celebs like fashion mogul Rachel Zoe have embraced them to top off everything from jeans and a t-shirt to knit dresses. A beret adds instant polish for any finals week look.

4. Neon Nails

Take a break from cramming and treat yourself to a manicure in a fun color (I recommend one of Essie’s neon shades like Punchy Pink or Neon Limelight). Besides the obvious benefit of even a few minutes to pamper yourself, painting your nails will make you less likely to give in to the time-honored tradition of compulsively biting your nails on exam day. A well-chosen color can put you in a good mood throughout the day, and a bright shade is perfect to keep you awake!

5. Jewelry Minimalist

I’m a firm believer that jewelry has the sole discretion to make or break an outfit, but in any case, opt for your more minimalist jewels during finals week. While chunky bracelets and necklaces are fun statement pieces, they can easily get in your way during test time. Opt instead for a classic chain necklace in our favorite metal (I’m in love with rose gold this season) paired with stud earrings or your favorite ring. You will still look well accessorized, but without all of the distraction of some of your statement pieces.

6. It’s all about leggings

Let me start this off by saying I am a tights girls. I love the opaque quality of them, and the fact that they come in a seemingly infinite variety of patterns and colors. No matter how much you love tights, leave them at home for finals week, and instead pull out your favorite pair of leggings. Tights look great, but they are not up to the high-reliability standards required for finals week. Imagine yourself furiously bubbling in a scantron only to look down and see an enormous run down your leg. Not pretty. Sticking with leggings ensures you can steer clear of tights-related wardrobe malfunctions with the added bonus of keeping you extra-warm (because who doesn’t want an added bonus on their final?).

7. Sweet Scarves

Scarves are an absolute must during finals. They simultaneously add warmth, texture and completeness to any outfit you manage to throw together for finals. If you find yourself unhappy with your look on any given finals morning, try throwing on a scarf to elevate your look to the next level.

8. Dewy Makeup

Chances are, your morning makeup routine will take too long to complete during finals. There are only four items in your makeup regimen you can use during finals to look fresh every day: blush, lip-gloss, concealer, and mascara. First, Dab on concealer to any problem areas (you can skip this step if you’ve managed to cheat stress breakouts). Next, apply a pink blush in an upward motion to highlight your cheekbones. Add one coat of mascara to add definition, and then complete this look with a tinted lip gloss similar in color to your natural lip color. This look is fast, easy, and the rosy hues will keep your face looking fresh all day long.

Finals are, first and foremost, about grades, but looking your best can help give you the positive mindset to make it through exam week because nothing says “A+” quite like looking fierce during finals

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.