freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Feb 14 Celebrates Singles Awareness Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Valentine’s Day has become known as a celebration of romance between two people who love each other. Without a significant other, the holiday is just a slap in the face for the single individuals of the world.

However, a new holiday is becoming widely known as Singles Awareness Day. Celebrated on Feb. 14 as well, the holiday is meant for a person to rejoice in their “singleness” without being look down upon.  

According to WardrobeAdvice.com, the holiday is not only popular in the U.S., but also in different places around the world in the form of a different title. In Korea, the day is also called Black Day, and in over 40 cities around the world it is known as International Quirkyalone Day

Anita Guevara, a sophomore social work major from Cumming, said she has two plans for Singles Awareness Day.

“My first plan was to have a dinner party for my friends, but just in case many people have plans for Valentine’s Day, we have an alternative plan,” Guevara said. “Instead of making dinner for them, we can just go out to an early dinner with friends and then go to an event on campus.”

Guevara said since she is not in a relationship, she won’t have to spend that much money.

“I wanted to celebrate the 14th with my friend because I know that once the day hits I would be a little sad and feel like I want a partner,” she said. “So, to prevent this, I’d rather have a distraction from all that because some people just don’t need a significant other, it’s really all about wanting one and I don’t need to feel that way.”

Margaret Songster, a freshman cognitive science major from Athens, said she is not looking for a relationship.

“For Singles Awareness Day, I also have a lot of friends who are single and we are planning to go downtown on that day,” Songster said. “It seems a little cheesy and kind of cliché to go downtown on Singles Awareness Day, but it might be fun. I actually got myself a Valentine’s Day gift and I’m going to one of my favorite concerts the next day.”

Songster said romantic relationships aren’t the only things that should be celebrated on Feb. 14.

“The holiday can be kind of lonely since it’s all about couples, but what about the rest of the population? What are we supposed to do?” she said. “So it’s a great way to get with your friends and be like ‘screw them’ because we don’t need a guy or girl to make us feel better.”

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter