taylor swift jack antonoff anti
taylor swift jack antonoff anti
Republic Records

Every Easter Egg in the Lavender Haze Music Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The 21 of January marked three months from the release of Taylor Swift’s tenth studio album, Midnights. In these three months, Swifties around the world sat, yearning, waiting, begging for the “Lavender Haze” music video. The video was teased in a trailer for the album Taylor released prior to the album, and after months of waiting, the video is finally here. It is every bit as whimsical and mystical as it needed to be, while also highlighting a beautiful love, portrayed by trans model Laith Ashley. While this music video was not “Bejeweled” in terms of crazy foreshadowing easter eggs, it made fun references to her life and the Midnights album. Here is a breakdown of the ones I found!

The fish

If you watched this video, you may have been confused by all the koi that spun around the galaxy in this video. The fish actually has three different meanings. The first is the Pisces reference. Taylor’s partner, Joe Alwyn, is a Pisces, so many fans believe the fish represent this, as they believe the song is referencing their relationship. They also believe it represents a line Taylor used to describe her life in a behind-the-scenes clip of the “Lover” music video. She explains that her life is like a fishbowl, with people constantly looking in, and her lover is the person willing to join her in this fishbowl and cope with the public scrutiny her fame brings. Finally, the koi fish shown are the exact ones from a guitar she used throughout her “Speak Now” era, and in the “Anti-Hero” music video. Fans take this as more confirmation that her 3rd studio album will be her next re-recording.

“Our Song” nails

In the opening shot of the video, Taylor is seen with a teal pedicure, similar to the shot in which she opens the music video for her song, “Our Song.” This was a single off her first studio album, which was self-titled. 

Midnights References

Throughout the music video, there are so many references to the Midnights album. In the video, every clock is set to midnight, which is fitting, as the song opens “Meet me at midnight.” In addition to this, the video references individual songs on the album and features the lavender edition of her album playing on a record player. Here are the individual song references broken down:

1. “Mastermind” — “Mastermind” is track 13 on the album, and the vinyl shows the astrological signs for Pisces (Joe) and Sagittarius (Taylor), referencing the track’s lyric “Once upon a time the planets and the fates and all the stars aligned.”
  2. “Maroon” — One shot pans to Taylor’s vinyl nightstand where she is burning incense, referencing a lyric in track 2, “Maroon”.
  3. “Karma” — In the video, Laith Ashley, her love interest, is on the screen, while Taylor is watching TV, which could be a reference to the lyric “Karma is the guy on the screen coming straight home to me.”
  4. “Midnight Rain” — In the weather prediction Taylor is watching, rain is predicted at midnight, which could be a nod to track 6, “Midnight Rain.”
  5. “Glitch” — During the video, there is a glitch in the later half, referencing the 3AM track “Glitch.”
wisteria

The video not only features the lavender flower, but also wisteria. She references this in her folklore bonus track, “the lakes,” referring to how she wants to run away from the spotlight and live in peaceful bliss with her lover.

These are really the main easter eggs that I found in the video. Mostly, it was just a really cute video that was just the perfect homage to the track. It captures the vibe of the song so perfectly and was just so fun. If you haven’t watched it yet, the video is now on YouTube (linked below) and Taylor’s album Midnights is on most places you listen to music!

Medhini is a first year student at UGA, majoring in Cell Biology, on the premed track, and minoring in the Classics. She listens to Taylor Swift 24/7, and loves to read. Follow her bookstagram @storyofusmedsversion!