Emily Stone: Leading Through Literacy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Emily Stone is a second-year Political Science and International Affairs major hailing from Marietta, Georgia. Read on to see how Emily serves the Athens community by encouraging children’s literacy and more! 

What are you involved in on campus?

I’m involved in First Book, Serve UGA, Gamma Sigma Sigma, and Miracle. Since coming to UGA, service has become a really important part of my life. These organizations have connected me with the Athens community in ways that are impactful and eye-opening. As a freshman I was amazed at the accomplishments of student-run organizations, and now I feel so grateful to be a part of them. I didn’t know that college students had the power to inspire so much change until I came to UGA.

What is First Book all about and what is your role?

First Book works to increase the literacy levels for students in the Athens area. I work as the Director of Outreach, which means I have the wonderful job of connecting our club members with volunteer opportunities at the schools. I absolutely love my position because it allows me to be in direct contact with the students and schools we’re working for. We go in to schools to teach the kids, but I learn as much from the students as they learn from us. At the end of our visits with Alps Elementary we often have a 10 minute dance party, and those kids definitely have a lot to teach me when it comes to dancing.

What is currently going on with First Book? 

First Book is in the middle of lots of big plans! First off we’re in the last few days of being Charity of the Month (February 2017) at Zombie Donuts. If you’re there in the next few days vote for First Book! We’re also planning a literacy awareness day called Read Across UGA. It will be March 2nd, aka Dr. Seuss’s birthday, from 10-2 outside of Tate. We’ve gotten fantastic support from both UGA and community partners, so a bunch of different education-focused organizations will be tabling with us! Also there will be pizza. So stop by for a cheesy lesson in literacy.

What do you like to do for fun when you’re not busy with school or your organizations?

I love to read, and eat sushi, and watch Bob’s Burgers/Game of Thrones/This Is Us (confession: I probably watch too much TV). I also love going on little adventures, so anything from rock climbing at Ramsey to stealing Krispy Kreme donuts after hours, and I am there. I’ve always thought it’s important to push myself to try new things, especially since I’m the kind of person who’s happy with a book and a big blanket. My friends at UGA have been some great co-pilots and partners in crime. 

What is your favorite UGA memory?

Favorite is hard, but I have a really good one in recent memory. A couple of weeks ago I had an almost perfect Sunday which started with biscuits and coffee from 1000 Faces Coffee. Then, since we’re in the middle of the fakest winter in Georgia history,  some friends and I went and explored Ben Burton Park. Afterwards we came back, I read a book, and we had a nice dinner in my apartment. It’s quiet days like that sometimes sneak up on me and are unexpectedly wonderful. 

Which Athens restaurant is your favorite?

My favorite restaurant is “The Place” and that’s not just because I feel like I’m part of an exclusive club when I say the name. I never realized how much I like southern food before coming to Athens, but now I think I’m a little in love with grits. Going to The Place for brunch and sitting on the top floor gives you a beautiful view of Broad Street. There aren’t many better ways to start a Sunday morning. 

What’s a fun fact about you?

Well this isn’t so much about me, but my mom taught Ryan Reynolds pilates! I begged for a “Take Your Daughter to Work Day,” but she wasn’t a fan of the idea. I also used to model as a kid, but that was before those dark days called middle school. I try not to look back on that time too much.

Anything else you want to share?

At the risk of sounding like someone accepting a Grammy, I want to go ahead and thank UGA, and Athens, and most importantly my friends here for being amazing. This place and these people have helped me grow in ways I never imagined, and I couldn’t love them more. And if that’s too sentimental then I’ll just end with a Sanford crowd favorite: Go Dawgs!

Thanks so much for sharing with us, Emily!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.