EDEN’s Latest EP Is A Voice For Millennials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

EDEN’s latest EP, “i think you think too much of me,” proves just how hard it is to be a millennial in a world thinking that we’ve got it easy.

Covering varying subjects but flowing seamlessly through the melody and thematic beats, sole band member Jonathan Ng threads through emotional lyrics that will make even the most apathetic listeners get a little misty-eyed.

The Irish singer and electronic music producer somehow captures the stress of the millennial lifestyle, all while including dialogue from the 2003 movie, “Lost In Translation” to sum up the struggle of discovering your purpose in life. He discusses the tough present-day subjects that not many people want to talk about, such as drug abuse and the feeling of wanting to be more than who you are.

ITYTTMOM’s first four songs string together as effortlessly as their titles do. “sex,” “drugs,” “and,” “rock + roll” flow easily from one song to the next, covering different subjects while proving that the millennial lifestyle isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The first single, “sex,” dives into the world of friends-with-benefits, a phrase made famous in recent years, and proves that emotions get in the way of even the simplest relationships.

EDEN’s second (and most recent) single off of the EP, titled “drugs,” and premiered by Billboard Magazine, discusses the harm of, well, drugs. Yes, its obvious that drugs are bad (please don’t make me sit through anymore D.A.R.E.-esque school assemblies), but Ng takes a different approach and focuses on the internal struggle of addiction and self-worth. He describes the emotional effects, as well as the physical pains, that lies beneath the term “addiction.”

Though EDEN’s music is not yet widely-known, it’s still important. It’s music that matters. If you’re looking for more of the bubblegum pop that surrounds our world, then this isn’t the music for you. This isn’t feel-good music, it’s nitty-gritty. It makes no apologies. It’s unfiltered. It’s real.

Check out the music video for “drugs” below!

Thumbnail image from Eden’s verified Facebook page.