Disney Through the Decades: 6 Anticipated Disney Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

We all know the Disney classics. They were the stories we heard when we were sick, the costumes (complete with plastic “heels” that came with them) we wore every Halloween, and the songs we belted out repeatedly that made our parents question why they had children. We wanted to be as smart as Belle, as strong and independent as Mulan, as caring as Snow White, and as free-spirited as Jasmine.

Those movies were (and still are) absolute treasures that we hold close to our hearts. I’m not ashamed to admit that I even have a Disney station on Pandora radio –that I actually listen to more than I am willing to admit to the general public. I think we can all agree that, for whatever reason, listening to Disney music or watching a Disney film makes us happy. It brings us back to a time when our worst problem was picking out which Lunchable we wanted to eat and our biggest responsibility was keeping our goldfish alive for more than a week. (But, really, was anyone successful at that?)

But Disney lost some of its magic. With Pixar, they created hits like Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc., and The Incredibles, but traditional Disney classics we loved as kids weren’t the same. And, although they re-release the classics in a cycle, little kids today are so used to 21st century computer animation that hand-drawn animation can sometimes seem a little lackluster. If we’re being honest, some of the really old classics (à la Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty) don’t connect as well with modern audiences. Progression of feminism and changing ideals render these a little old fashioned.

Now this seems kind of depressing and sad. Because we all love Disney. But Disney didn’t become a billion dollar company by resisting change. They change and adapt to the times, and they’ve done it again! Their new princess animations have been given more feminist upgrades (Brave, Tangled, and, of course, Frozen), and their old princesses have been given the modern treatment in the form of live-action film (Maleficent and Alice in Wonderland). This rejuvenation and update of the classics allows young girls (and boys!) to enjoy and connect with the stories we fell in love with as kids.

Here are 6 of the most anticipated films Disney has in our near future:

1. Beauty and the Beast

Who didn’t love Belle? That girl was strange, but special! And now she’s getting real in the live-action version starring Emma Watson. Could that casting be any more perfect? Belle, Beast, Mrs. Potts, and Lumiere will dance and sing their way onto the big screen in March 2017. 

2. The Jungle Book

Yeeaah, man! This classic is also getting a live-action make-over. With a cast like Bill Murray, Lupita Nyong’o, Scarlett Johansson, and Idris Elba, this film is already a guaranteed hit. After a slight push-back, The Jungle Book is scheduled for an April 2016 release.

3. Dumbo

This one seems like a strange choice to make live-action. A live-action flying elephant? But you try telling Disney they can’t do something. With today’s CGI and computer technology, almost anything can be made live-action. There’s no set release date for this one yet but, since we heard it’s being directed by Tim Burton, we’re definitely anticipating it!

4. Alice in Wonderland

We are all mad here! Alice in Wonderland has already been gone live-action. In fact, its box office success is what kicked off the trend! Now Alice and company are back for more fun, mad, live-action adventures! You can expect to see this bonkers world come to life again in May 2016. 

5. Finding Dory

P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney. Our favorite forgetful fish is back at it! This time, we follow along as Dory and Nemo go on a quest to uncover Dory’s past and find her family. Ellen Degeneres once again lends her voice and is joined this time by Eugene Levy, Diane Keaton, and Ty Burrell. Dory is swimming onto the big screen in June 2016. 

6. Frozen 2

Unless you’ve been living under a rock this month, you no doubt heard the announcement that shook the nation. Brace yourselves: Frozen is getting a sequel! Did you really think I’d leave that off the list? Now considering this was just announced, like, this month, absolutely no information is known about the plot. But the directors and cast from the original are set to come back for another adventure set to freeze our theaters in November 2018. 

Walt Disney was once famously quoted as saying, “I only hope that we don’t lose sight of one thing –that it was all started by a mouse.” Walt may have passed in 1966, but I think the Disney Corporation has done a pretty good job of keeping Mickey in their sights. Excluding today’s disastrous Disney Channel, of course. On behalf of everyone, Mr. Disney, we apologize for that. 

Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).