Chip Chambers: UGA Football Mic Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The Mic Man (Or Hype Man) for UGA Football is a job that has existed for many years. Though there hasn’t been one every year since the position was first created, more recently the university has decided to try to make it a more permanent role and tradition, starting this semester with UGA sophomore Chip Chambers. To understand more about Chip and his job as the Mic Man, I interviewed him and can truly say his responses had me both laughing and smiling. After learning more about his position, I’m glad to say that I am student at a university with such fantastic ways to truly encourage a deep love and dedication to our school and our team.

1. To start with, Chip, tell me a little about yourself.

I’m a sophomore (meaning, of course, I peaked last year) who has currently convinced Athena, my advisor, and my parents that I’m somehow going to major in biology and economics (with pre-med intent). I grew up just outside of Athens as the child of two Bulldawg Alumni, so the Dawg Nation has always held a very dear place in my heart. I’ve watched the Dawgs tee it up ‘tween the hedges and hunker it down more times than I can count, but it never loses its allure. In fact, it gets a little sweeter each time (even if the losses hurt just the same).

2. How did you get considered to be the Mic Man for UGA Football?

It all started at the UGA basketball games, where I was quite commonly referred to as “that crazy dancing guy.” While football has always been my favorite sport to watch, basketball is the only sport I don’t immediately embarrass myself at, so it holds a dear spot in my heart for that reason. The UGA basketball team is so much fun to watch (PSA: the season is just now starting!) and I couldn’t contain my excitement on multiple occasions. Next thing I know, I’m being asked if I would be interested in leading the student section of the football games… um, yes?!

3. What is it like being the Hype Man?

It’s surreal. In all my years as a Dawg fan, I never could have imagined such an opportunity. When “Krypton Fanfare” starts playing and the entire student section starts waving their hands in unison, declaring that the fourth quarter is ours, is what we’ve prepared for, wow, there’s nothing like it.

4. What was your first game as the ‘Mic Man’?

Tennessee this year, and my, what a game to start on. When Eason hit Riley Ridley in the end zone with seconds left, I lost my friggin’ mind. While the ending still stings, I am so honored to have been a part of one of the best efforts I have seen our football team put on. The way the team fought the entire game inspired every ounce of passion I displayed.

5. What would you say to the next Hype Man?

Well, I hope you don’t have a fear of crowds.

Jokes aside, I would say to just have fun and let your passion take over. That was the advice given to me by Rob Griffeth, the other hype man who is graduating this year. The mic in your hand doesn’t mean a thing if there’s not a maniac going crazy behind it. But once the students start feeding off you, it gets really fun.

6. What is the history of the Mic Man position?

My understanding is that the position has existed, on and off, for a handful of years, with it coming back strong a couple years ago. We’re hoping to make it iconic and add it to the rich plethora of traditions that belong to the University of Georgia.

7. Do you plan on continuing to be the Hype Man throughout the rest of your time here at UGA?

If they’ll let me!

8. Do you personally know Hairy Dawg since you two stand next to each other for quite a bit of time during games? Do you two ever have conversations during breaks (if there are any)? If so, what about?

There are times that I make Hairy Dawg listen to my commentary on the game (like “Wow Sanders is a machine today,” or “Can I write Nick Chubb onto my ballot?”) and it’s nice because, well, he can’t argue with me or tell me to shut up. As far as conversations, I’m not fluent in barking, so I can’t really understand anything he says. If I could speak to him though, I think we would be incredible friends. I’d love for him to be my “Home Dawg.”

9. Do you feel like you and Hairy Dawg feed off of each other’s energy, or what’s it like being right up there in the front of the student section with one of UGA’s official mascots?

I absolutely feed off his energy and excitement every minute of the game. It’s surreal to get to stand next to one of the best mascots in the nation (that’s an objective, scientifically-proven fact). While I certainly don’t have his terrific physique, I hope I can hang with him in terms of energy and passion!

10. How are you able to go the entire game with such excitement and high energy? Do you ever get tired as you keep crowd energy, support, and hype up during the entire game?

Oh absolutely I get tired. I don’t wear a Fitbit, but if I did, I think I would set a record for most movement in an 8×4 area. That said, cliché as it is, the Dawg Nation fuels me. When you look up and see 93,000 of your closest friends, you can’t help but lose your mind. It’s just not a choice. When I think about what the boys on the field have put in for that moment, I have no option but to give them everything I have within me, and then some.

11. What is your favorite thing about the job?

My blood has run red and black my entire life, so getting to even stand on the sidelines where some of my heroes have stood blows my mind. As the wise philosopher Larry Munson once said, “the tradition of unrivaled excellence demonstrated by these individuals and many others spans more than a full century.” If I can do anything whatsoever to “assume the reigns of our Georgia forbearers and continue that tradition,” I’ll do it, even if it’s just making sure we’re loud on defense and quiet on offense. There truly is no tradition more worthy of envy, no institution worthy of such loyalty, as the University of Georgia.

12. What is the hardest thing about being the Mic Man?

The loads of fan mail, for sure. I haven’t actually received any yet, but I figure the post office is just so overwhelmed that they haven’t been able to process it all. I’m dreading the day it all arrives.

13. If there is anything you could tell the entire student body in regards to school spirit and love for UGA, what would you say?

First off, go to some basketball games. I would love to see us recreate the environment of passion, loyalty, and fanaticism of our football games at our basketball games. Our boys (and Lady Dawgs!) deserve it.

Second, remember that at UGA, class is more than just where your professors lecture. It’s a way of life, loyalty, charm, respect, and tradition. Make sure that every visiting opponent knows that the Classic City is the home of the classiest fans in the SEC, so we will always smile and show them around… right before we whoop up on their football team and ring that Chapel Bell all daggum night long.

Lastly, I feel that the words of Larry Munson offer a far greater exhortation than I ever could: “As we prepare for another meeting between the hedges, let all the Bulldog faithful rally behind the men who now wear the red and black with two words, two simple words, which express the sentiments of the entire Bulldog Nation. Go Dawgs.”