Cheering on the Dawgs from 4,000 Miles Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

When I told people that I would be studying abroad in the fall, I always got a two-fold reaction. People were excited for me, but then they questioned me about missing football season. I was even called crazy! Y’all, I love the Dawgs! Though I somewhat lament the fact that I can’t be at Sanford cheering on the Dawgs in the greatest college town in the world, I am at Oxford studying under some of the most intelligent people I have ever met.

Let me explain it to y’all: Us UGA at Oxford students are not American football deprived. One of the UGA professors here has a magical object called a slingbox that delivers his US cable channels to his UK tele. We watched UGA fans cheer on Lee Corso’s LSU pick and the most epic fourth quarter of college football this year. We cheered and wore our Georgia red as if we were in Sanford stadium. We even tried to convince Blair Walsh through Twitter to come watch the game with us. It was a bonding experience for the house and an exciting, fun break from the rigorous academia.

I’m sure we’ll be slingboxing the rest of the season. Let’s face it—this is the season. Knock on wood.

To anyone who is wondering if they should study abroad in the fall for fear of missing football season: take the opportunity to broaden your educational and cultural horizons. The Dawgs are just a slingbox away, and you can watch with your fellow Bulldogs abroad.

Until next time: DAWGS ON TOP! Cheers!

HCXO,

Leslie

Hi there! I'm Leslie--a senior majoring in English/creative writing and minoring in religion. I have unhealthy obsessions with Seth Rogen, Doctor Who, tennis, anything Sherlock Holmes, books, yoga...a list too long to continue. I think my purpose on Earth is to make people laugh, whether it is intentional or unintentional. I studied abroad at Oxford University and just ran my first triathlon. And I don't know how to end this, so... I love you.
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter