Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month UGA Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Since Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 to October 15) is 31 days of celebration, it might be a bit overwhelming to know how to get involved, but Her Campus has got you covered. Here are some Hispanic Heritage month events you can participate in right here on campus:

1.Watch the movie Chocó

Thursday, October 9 (6 p.m.) at the Georgia Museum of Art – $7.50/students, $9.50/non-students

This movie tells the story of a Colombian woman who raises two children through the struggles of working in a gold mine and dealing with her abusive husband. A Q&A with the director, Jhonny Hendrix Hinestroza, will follow the screening.

2.Watch the movie Cesar Chavez

Wednesday, October 8 (7 p.m.) at the Tate Student Center Theatre- Free Admission

The award-winning biography of Cesar Chavez, American farm worker, labor leader and civil rights activist.

3.Attend Noche Latina

Saturday, October 18 (6- 9:30 p.m.) in Tate Student Center Grand Hall- $5/student, $10/non-students

The UGA Hispanic Student Association hosts a night of Latin American dancing, singing and other performances. A Latin American dinner will also be catered. Tickets are available at the Tate Cashier Window.

4. Immerse yourself in “Negritud in Latin American art”

Friday, October 17 to Wednesday, November 12 in Gallery 101 at Lamar Dodd School of Art

This exhibit, from members of the Atlanta art collective Centrapunto, showcases the influences of African culture on Latin American art. A panel discussion with the curators and artists will take place on October 29 from 6 to 7 p.m.

5. Celebrate Día de los Muertos

Thursday, October 30 (9-11 a.m.) in Tate Student Center Plaza  

Stop by the Tate Plaza on your way to class for some pan dulce (sweet bread) and hot coco in honor of Día de Los Muertos!

These are just a few campus events to get you in the Latin spirit, but feel free to celebrate in your own way. Whether it be dancing to Shakira or pigging out at Cali N Titos, let’s take this month to celebrate all things Hispanic. 

Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).