Catherine Bowden: UGA MIracle Particpant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

UGA Miracle, an influential organization on campus, gets hundreds of students involved through committees and fundraisers each year, with all the proceeds going to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.  All the hype and donations and promotions lead up to their famous Dance Marathon, a grueling 24 hours of dancing.  The participants will begin, excited and ready to dance on February 22nd at 10 am and will end exhausted and entirely danced out 24 hours later on the 23rd.  To mark 100 days before Miracle’s biggest day, this past Thursday night on November 14th, the organization hosted Miracle at Midnight, a rave themed dance party that took place at New Earth Music Hall in downtown Athens.  The event included a dance competition, where our very own campus celebrity this week, Catherine Bowden, graced the stage.

Catherine, a freshman in Phi Mu Sorority, was approached by the Phi Mu president, Blakely Brown, to take part in the event, and as a dancer of sixteen years, she was more than willing to help out with Phi Mu’s philanthropy.  Catherine was one of eight girls to dance the night away as Campus djs DewsNDers, the DJ, played different songs for five minutes.  The girls were judged on the amount of money donated from each of their organizations, the amount of facebook “likes and shares” they got on their promotional picture earlier in the week, and their actual dancing at the event. 

Catherine loved it, especially knowing it was for a good cause.  She takes any chance she can get to step back on the dance floor, also participating in Sigma Delta Tau’s philanthropy event, Greek Grind, earlier this semester.  She impressed the audience then, and many of her friends came back to support her on Thursday, unable to resist the chance to see her back in action.  If you missed her, hopefully there will be another chance for you to see her dance in the next four years-you might need to come to Dance Marathon in February to see if she’ll bust a move!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter