This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

College is for real, guys. It’s not like in the movies where everything is pretty okay-people get along relatively well, and they all conveniently study together in the quad while the troubles of mainstream society are barred from entering campus.

In reality, the dangers of any normal society are just as prevalent on campus; however, most of us are unaware when a crime occurs within the parameters of our university.

In light of the two reported rapes (1, 2) on campus in October, we felt attention to this issue was due.

So, here’s our question:

Do you feel that UGA should inform its students and staff when an incident such as a robbery, assault, or rape takes place near or on campus?

Here’s the response of twenty-two randomly selected students, half of whom are male and half of whom are female, and three staff members.

We don’t want to believe that these atrocities can take place on our campus-in our home away from home-but they do, which is why it is imperative for the students and staff of any college campus to be notified of any suspicious or malicious activity that occurs near or on campus, so as to keep its inhabitants knowledgeable and cautious so they can take precautions to ensure their own safety and possibly even someone else’s. 

(Thumbnail photo courtesy of Unsplash.com)

I am an Entertainment and Media Studies and Film Studies double major pursuing certificates in Interdisciplinary Writing and New Media. I hail from Acworth, Ga, and enjoy writing, pointing out inaccuracies in movies, and binge watching any highly-rated show on Netflix with a healthy five or more seasons. Outside of stressing for grades I need to maintain Zell, I also enjoy being sarcastic and spending time with my friends.    *Yes, that is my high school senior picture. It cost a lot of money; I have no shame. 
Hi! I'm Valerie and I am currently a freshman as a Psychology major. Along with studying and stressing about upcoming exams and assignments, I spend my days binge-watching Netflix, hanging out with friends, and downing coffee like there's no tomorrow. I am the proud plant mom of a cactus named Prickly Paul and a mint named Ralph.